Holy Rule for May 5

    Message 1 of 143 , May 4, 2013

      Prayers for the spiritual and bodily health of the following and for all their lloved ones and all who take care of them:

      Doug, 60, belatedly, on his birthday.

      Mike, 68, on his birthday

      Carol's students as they take their chemistry exam.

      Todd, 39, father of four young children. who suffered a mild heart attack

      Prologue (continued)

      Having our loins girded, therefore,
      with faith and the performance of good works (Eph. 6:14),
      let us walk in His paths
      by the guidance of the Gospel,
      that we may deserve to see Him
      who has called us to His kingdom (1 Thess. 2:12).

      For if we wish to dwell in the tent of that kingdom,
      we must run to it by good deeds
      or we shall never reach it.

      But let us ask the Lord, with the Prophet,
      "Lord, who shall dwell in Your tent,
      or who shall rest upon Your holy mountain" (Ps. 14:1)?

      After this question,
      let us listen to the Lord
      as He answers and shows us the way to that tent, saying,
      "The one Who walks without stain and practices justice;
      who speaks truth from his heart;
      who has not used his tongue for deceit;
      who has done no evil to his neighbor;
      who has given no place to slander against his neighbor."

      This is the one who,
      under any temptation from the malicious devil,
      has brought him to naught (Ps. 14:4)
      by casting him and his temptation from the sight of his heart;
      and who has laid hold of his thoughts
      while they were still young
      and dashed them against Christ (Ps. 136:9).

      It is they who,
      fearing the Lord (Ps. 14:4),
      do not pride themselves on their good observance;
      but,
      convinced that the good which is in them
      cannot come from themselves and must be from the Lord,
      glorify the Lord's work in them (Ps. 14:4),
      using the words of the Prophet,
      "Not to us, O Lord, not to us,
      but to Your name give the glory" (Ps. 113, 2nd part:1).
      Thus also the Apostle Paul
      attributed nothing of the success of his preaching to himself,
      but said,
      "By the grace of God I am what I am" (1 Cor. 15:10).
      And again he says,
      "He who glories, let him glory in the Lord" (2 Cor. 10:17).

      REFLECTION

      Very briefly, there is an excellent theology of works and faith here.
      We need to recognize that there is no good in our works that is not of God, of
      the saving act of Jesus. We also need to hear that
      works are important means of showing God how much we love Him and
      believe in Him. Works are the logical result of faith. We all
      need faith and no one is anything at all in terms of good without
      God, without Christ's perfect sacrifice.

      Our Baptism allows us to do good, because it incorporates (literally
      "in-bodies" us!) into God. In His Mystical Body, we receive the boon of the
      ability to do good.

      We can get so accustomed to this that we can forget that without Him we
      could do absolutely nothing of any worth whatever. That is why it is so very
      important to make the Morning Offering, to tie our own poor works, prayers,
      joys and sufferings to those of Christ and the Cross. Plunged into Jesus,
      they become tools of infinite merit and worth!

      So yes, we must do good works, but, "Not to us, O Lord, not to us,
      but to Your name give the glory!" Works and faith are not the Western
      thought dichotomy of "yes and no" of, "either or," but the Zen mind
      of "both and." Without God, neither works nor ourselves have any
      meaning at all. With God, both are enriched, but only because of Him.

      Love and prayers,
      Jerome,OSB

      Message 143 of 143 , Jun 1, 2013
        Prayers, please, for the following, and for all their families and all who take care of them:

        Barbara, dementia worsening, major meltdown on Friday, and for her husband, Jim.

        a member of Jane's family newly diagnosed with cancer.

        Al. His vision is critical to his work. He had cataract surgery and now the lens that was implanted will have to be removed Monday and replaced with a new one. Doc says there is a high risk of a detached retina. Please pray that God will guide the surgeon's hands and for complete healing.

        Denise, that she get her marriage blessed and return to the Sacraments.

        The fourth degree of humility
        and contradictions
        and even any kind of injustice,
        For the Scripture says,