Holy Rule for Apr. 28

    Message 1 of 143 , Apr 27, 2013

      Prayers, please, for the following:

      Wil, remains in induced coma.

      JS, discernment and success in his job and school.

      BE, Bev, ME and Alex, special intentions.

      Deo gratias for past prayers answered

      Luke's wife, Julia, who had a seizure after giving birth to their first child, Lucy. Lucy is in NICU with poor respiration.

      Charlene, who underwent a very painful procedure. She is at home in a lot of pain and has to be in the dark. It will take her about a week or so to recover. Prayers that she heals quickly and is not in too much pain. Prayers she does not get an infection and she can sleep and rest well.

      Deo gratias, Denise accepted a position at University of Florida.

      Deo gratias, Sandy's bladder removal went well and there is no sign of cnacer spreading.

      Jean, stem cell transplant

      Chapter 70: That No One Venture to Punish at Random

      Every occasion of presumption
      shall be avoided in the monastery,
      and we decree that no one be allowed
      to excommunicate or to strike any of her sisters
      unless the Abbess has given her the authority.
      Those who offend in this matter
      shall be rebuked in the presence of all,
      that the rest may have fear.

      But children up to 15 years of age
      shall be carefully controlled and watched by all,
      yet this too with all moderation and discretion.
      All, therefore, who presume
      without the Abbess' instructions
      to punish those above that age
      or who lose their temper with them,
      shall undergo the discipline of the Rule;
      for it is written,
      "Do not to another what you would not want done to yourself" (Tobias

      Ever work in a place where there was such chaos that you always had
      to be protecting yourself from just about everybody, where you never
      knew from which quarter doom might swoop down without warning. Trust
      me, it ain't much fun. Been there, done that! St. Benedict wisely saw
      that healthy people cannot live that way- it makes them sick- and
      sick people cannot either, it makes them sicker in a big hurry!

      Our communities, our families, and our own behavior at work or school
      should never buy into such lunacy. One advantage of a central
      authority is that it takes the heat, or ought to take it! To leave
      those we have under our care at the mercy of each other, be they
      siblings or monastics or employees, is a terrible abdication of

      The other telling thing here is the proscription against losing one's
      temper. Hey, I know it happens, and I often even know how. It surely
      has happened to me, alas. But our communities are to be founded on peace.

      When disagreement comes or wrong is done, our first resort must
      NEVER be the overkill of the heaviest possible artillery. Much less than
      that is effective in most cases and giving more than is necessary just
      destroys our inner peace. That, my friends, is something we should
      never allow things around us to destroy.

      Two other important things are to be borne in mind. The other person may
      honestly have no clue that they have offended or done anything wrong. It
      may be in our own wrong-headed perceptions. Also, the silent treatment or
      the cold shoulder freeze out are demeaning and not terribly mature ways to
      deal with conflict, especially if the person receiving such nonsense is
      expected to either know or guess what she has done wrong. Such petulant
      behaviors are beneath humanity itself, much less Christianity and terribly
      beneath monastic life.

      Far from the "mutually assured destruction" tactic of the nuclear days,
      we should always and everywhere espouse gentleness and polite restraint.
      Our disagreements and corrections should be marked with mercy, even to
      those who fail mercy themselves. (There is no shortage of such people and
      no need to duplicate services there!) So much of charity is genuine
      courtesy and respect, qualities which are sadly easy to fail. We must be
      ever mindful!

      Message 143 of 143 , Jun 1, 2013
        Prayers, please, for the following, and for all their families and all who take care of them:

        Barbara, dementia worsening, major meltdown on Friday, and for her husband, Jim.

        a member of Jane's family newly diagnosed with cancer.

        Al. His vision is critical to his work. He had cataract surgery and now the lens that was implanted will have to be removed Monday and replaced with a new one. Doc says there is a high risk of a detached retina. Please pray that God will guide the surgeon's hands and for complete healing.

        Denise, that she get her marriage blessed and return to the Sacraments.

        The fourth degree of humility
        and contradictions
        and even any kind of injustice,
        For the Scripture says,