Holy Rule for Apr. 27

    Message 1 of 143 , Apr 26, 2013

      Prayers, please, for the spioritual and temporal welfare of the folowing, for all their loved ones and all who take care of them:

      Darren, for healing.

      Dot, that she gets the help she needs to stay in her own home.

      M and D, going on a 19 day trip, for no medical needs to arise while they have a safe and happy trip.

      Devin, 16, just diagnosed with acute lymphoblastic leukemia, and for his mom, brother and sister. May the Divine Mercy of the Holy Trinity grant the family serenity and guide his doctors and nurses during Devin's extended treatment program.

      Lord, help us all as You
      know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never
      absent, praise Him. Thanks so much. JL

      April 27, August 27, December 27
      Chapter 69: That the Monks Presume Not to Defend One Another

      Care must be taken that no monk presume on any ground
      to defend another monk in the monastery,
      or as it were to take him under his protection,
      even though they be united by some tie of blood-relationship.
      Let not the monks dare to do this in any way whatsoever,
      because it may give rise to most serious scandals.
      But if anyone breaks this rule,
      let him be severely punished.

      REFLECTION

      We are all supposed to bear one another's burdens. That should be
      more than enough help for anyone, if we actually keep that principle.
      A big problem with becoming the protector of another, self-appointed
      or otherwise, is that it destroys one's peace needlessly.

      This isn't just about monasteries, it's about any human group. Taking
      someone under our wing can result in all sorts of false assumptions.
      It can fool us into thinking we can really control events more than
      we can. It can lead us, a la Mother Hen, to seek to control the one
      under wing in very unnecessary and unhealthy ways. Its most common
      error is also one of its most dangerous ones: it leads us to think in
      terms of "us-and-them." There is no "them" in a healthy monastery,
      only an "us".

      A further problem is that God wills or permits things for a person's good
      that may seem awful to us. Whatever befalls us, God can and does use
      to our ultimate salvation, our greatest good. When our own limited and
      false view of things decides to protect another from such workings as are
      truly of God, we have placed ourselves in a downright horrible position.
      What galling nerve on our part to assume we know better than God, that
      it is our "providence" and not His that ought to triumph.

      As usual, what the Holy Rule insists we avoid is an extreme. This
      chapter is NOT saying we should not look out for one another, just
      that no one should presume that the job is hers or his alone. Good
      families protect all their members, but it is a corporate activity, something
      in which all participate. Destroy that balance and the others will
      notice quickly. It upsets the inner peace, both of the individual and
      the group.

      Part of any monastic's struggle, in cloister or in the world, is the
      painful facing up to ourselves, that confrontation with our own
      flaws. This difficult self-knowledge is essential to the monastic
      way. Trying to protect someone from this process is counter to the
      very reason they came. It not only harms them, it harms us, by
      keeping us so busy with another's affairs that we can avoid looking
      within at our own failings.

      Merton once told his junior monk students that there is an
      existential place of loneliness in every monk that no one can touch,
      and that this is the way it's supposed to be, that no one should try
      to reach it. That's where the struggle goes on, that's where there is
      only God and the self. That's the arena in which the action happens.

      Every person, every employee, every spouse and child has a similar
      place: it is the place of potential learning and growth. Our deep
      respect for one another must stand away from that space. Becoming
      self-appointed guardians of another violates that space.

      Message 143 of 143 , Jun 1, 2013
        Prayers, please, for the following, and for all their families and all who take care of them:

        Barbara, dementia worsening, major meltdown on Friday, and for her husband, Jim.

        a member of Jane's family newly diagnosed with cancer.

        Al. His vision is critical to his work. He had cataract surgery and now the lens that was implanted will have to be removed Monday and replaced with a new one. Doc says there is a high risk of a detached retina. Please pray that God will guide the surgeon's hands and for complete healing.

        Denise, that she get her marriage blessed and return to the Sacraments.

        The fourth degree of humility
        and contradictions
        and even any kind of injustice,
        For the Scripture says,