Holy Rule for Apr. 12

    Message 1 of 144 , Apr 11, 2013
      +PAX

      Prayers, please, for the following:

      Jill, in critical condition and a priest has ben called.

      Shannon, 27, badly needing to get back to the Faith.

      JS. faces a difficult presentation. also discernment and special intention

      Jimmy, job

      B, special intention

      Bev, special intention

      Arjahn, serious health issues, including diabetes

      Dianna, undergoing tests

      Deo gratias M.E. is getting her life organized.

      Deo gratias for past prayers answered

      Lord, help us all as You know and
      will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent,
      praise Him! Thanks so much. JL

      When she is to be received
      she promises before all in the oratory
      stability,
      fidelity to monastic life
      and obedience.
      This promise she shall make before God and His Saints,
      so that if she should ever act otherwise,
      she may know that she will be condemned by Him whom she mocks.
      Of this promise of hers let her draw up a document
      in the name of the Saints whose relics are there
      and of the Abbess who is present.
      Let her write this document with her own hand;
      or if she is illiterate, let another write it at her request,
      and let the novice put her mark to it.
      Then let her place it with her own hand upon the altar;
      and when she has placed it there,
      let the novice at once intone this verse:
      "Receive me, O Lord, according to Your word, and I shall live:
      and let me not be confounded in my hope" (Ps. 118[119]:116).
      Let the whole community answer this verse three times
      and add the "Glory be to the Father."
      Then let the novice prostrate herself at each one's feet,
      that they may pray for her.
      And from that day forward
      let her be counted as one of the community.
      If she has any property,
      let her either give it beforehand to the poor
      or by solemn donation bestow it on the monastery,
      reserving nothing at all for herself,
      as indeed she knows that from that day forward
      she will no longer have power even over her own body.
      At once, therefore, in the oratory,
      let her be divested of her own clothes which she is wearing
      and dressed in the clothes of the monastery.
      But let the clothes of which she was divested
      be put aside in the wardrobe and kept there.
      Then if she should ever listen to the persuasions of the devil
      and decide to leave the monastery (which God forbid),
      she may be divested of the monastic clothes and cast out.
      Her document, however,
      which the Abbess has taken from the altar,
      shall not be returned to her, but shall be kept in the monastery.

      REFLECTION

      It is thrilling to me to know that, more than 1500 years later, we
      are still doing professions in the way St. Benedict did. A few things
      added, but the elements are there: writing and signing the document,
      placing it on the altar, the Suscipe ("Receive me, O Lord...") are all
      tremendously ancient and holy rites. What a privilege we have to
      belong to such a family.

      The Church approves religious rules. This is the basis for asserting
      that our Holy Rule is inspired by the Holy Spirit, because the Church
      gave its seal of approval. The Church, however, is indubitably older
      and often wiser than monastic life. It predates every form of optional religious
      commitment. It is the blessing of the Church which makes official
      monastic life possible for any and all of us.

      This is just a prelude to saying that the wisdom of the Church long
      ago stopped people from making solemn vows, a life-long commitment
      difficult to break, right out of novitiate. Not only does this longer
      program protect people, to a certain extent, from making a mistake,
      it also spares the monastery from having a lot of misfits with chapter
      votes running the show. There are many I have known who left in
      simple vows that I remain eternally grateful for the fact that they
      were never chapter members!

      A year may well have been enough in St. Benedict's time. People had
      vastly shorter life spans, it was a bigger chunk of their lives. They
      also had to grow up more quickly and their options were fewer by far
      than those of our own day.

      Oblates, therefore, can garner a few kernels of truth in this chapter
      about commitment, that bugbear of the post-Word War II generation and
      beyond. Modern people find it terribly hard to commit, some never
      manage it at all. As such, a bit of wisdom older than our own age may
      be very useful in our everyday lives.

      Whether it's a marriage or engagement or job or volunteer chairperson
      position, don't jump at things. Read the Rule, so to speak, three
      times at least! Look, look, look as mindfully as you can at the truth
      and reality of the situation.

      Benedictines are not people afraid of commitment, but we live in a
      world where many are. Our witness here must be care and balance. We
      must resolutely walk BETWEEN the extremes of foolhardy haste and
      crippling fear. In the world of today, that is no small witness and
      no easy task. Pull this one off, and you have a done a service to
      many, not just to yourself!

      Message 144 of 144 , Jan 16

        But if anyone should presume to do so,
        At the same time,