Holy Rule for Apr. 7

    Message 1 of 143 , Apr 6, 2013

      Prayers, please, for the follwoing:

      Andy, a high school teen diagnosed with a brain tumor, and for Gert, his mother, and his father and siblings.

      JS, super tough presentation.

      Jimmy, seeks job. 2 possibilities , one he hopes for in North Carolina.

      Tabitha, serious auto accident injuries

      Rita and DJ, pain management, side effects of diabetes

      Beverly, that her tests are ok and special intention

      Lord, help us all as
      You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never
      absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL

      April 7, August 7, December 7
      Chapter 55: On the Clothes and Shoes of the Brethren

      Let clothing be given to the brethren
      according to the nature of the place in which they dwell
      and its climate;
      for in cold regions more will be needed,
      and in warm regions less.
      This is to be taken into consideration, therefore, by the Abbot.

      We believe, however, that in ordinary places
      the following dress is sufficient for each monk:
      a tunic,
      a cowl (thick and woolly for winter, thin or worn for summer),
      a scapular for work,
      stockings and shoes to cover the feet.

      The monks should not complain
      about the color or the coarseness of any of these things,
      but be content with what can be found
      in the district where they live and
      can be purchased cheaply.

      The Abbot shall see to the size of the garments,
      that they be not too short for those who wear them,
      but of the proper fit.

      Let those who receive new clothes
      always give back the old ones at once,
      to be put away in the wardrobe for the poor.
      For it is sufficient if a monk has two tunics and two cowls,
      to allow for night wear and for the washing of these garments;
      more than that is superfluity and should be taken away.
      Let them return their stockings also and anything else that is old
      when they receive new ones.

      Those who are sent on a journey
      shall receive drawers from the wardrobe,
      which they shall wash and restore on their return.
      And let their cowls and tunics be somewhat better
      than what they usually wear.
      These they shall receive from the wardrobe
      when they set out on a journey,
      and restore when they return.

      I have heard US religious women speak of formerly
      being "incarcerated" in the habit. Knowing the rules of more than a
      few communities, I have no doubt that is true. I find that terribly,
      immoderately non-Benedictine, way out of balance.

      However, and this is certain to displease some, I find the usual
      response of US Benedictine women to this problem to be equally
      extreme and unwise. The best answer to too much habit is not no habit
      at all, nor do I think that would be the moderate response to which
      Benedictine hearts would most naturally incline.

      Having said that, and underscoring that I am not incarcerated in the
      habit, nor do I wish anyone else to be, let me embark on something
      more than just a hymn of praise for the habit. It will, trust me, be
      very much more of a love song.

      My habit is not ALL of me, would that it were! I could greatly profit
      from being ALL monk, but it is a large part of me. I have kissed
      every piece while donning or doffing it, every single time for many
      years now. I can assure you that those kisses are sincere, not
      mindless. I love it deeply and the sense of privilege in wearing it
      has never left me.

      The habit doesn't advertise ME to the world, I would be
      the first to tell you that would hardly be worthwhile or honest.
      It DOES advertise my Benedictine heritage to the world and of that, I
      am very, very proud, for that I am very, very grateful. I am no icon
      of holiness, but our habit is. I am an icon-bearer and that is a
      lofty thing, a humbling thing and yet a thing greatly desirable.

      Our custom is to wear the habit everywhere. My brothers, for the most part, just
      plain live in the habit, never taking it off, except to paint or do
      heavy gardening. Wearing the habit in Boston and Athol on the street has
      been the source of some interesting experiences.

      People have come to me in Boston really needing help who never,
      ever would have dared approach me in an Oxford cloth button down
      shirt, in the preppy style of lay clothes I admittedly love. Wouldn't
      have happened. Couldn't have happened.

      One of those people is dead now, gone to heaven a new Oblate, a
      homebound and nearly blind woman in a wheelchair. She was sunning
      herself, outside her apartment in East Boston and
      still had enough eyesight to recognize the habit and call out as I
      walked by. Thank God I had my habit on that day! I got delegated to invest her as
      an Oblate in her own apartment and she went to God BEFORE she could
      make her Final Oblation. She made that in heaven. What a gift Teresa
      was- and is- to us!

      I could go on and on. There was a terribly sincere man on the Boston
      Common whose question had just gotten dumped on by an insensitive
      priest. He would never have known me otherwise. There was the
      European woman who spoke very little English and felt safer asking a
      monk for directions.

      There is, to me at least, great beauty in the habit, on others and
      even on myself. Every now and then I am caught off guard by my own
      reflection in a window or by my shadow and have to remind
      myself: "That monk you see is YOU." Well, a little bit of him is and
      I'm working on the rest, but it still never fails to alarm me, every

      In choir, as no place else, does the habit sing to me. Our cowls
      (cucullas to some of you,) are voluminous garments of prayer, mini-
      enclosures, formal attire of serious business and great holiness. How
      deeply proud I am to wear one. Whatever other choices others may have
      taken about the habit, I honestly pity any of them without a choir
      garment. It is a treasure of unity and joy.

      I am, believe me, all too different from my brothers and sisters in
      too many respects. Our cowls, however,
      cover all those things, no matter how briefly, and we are one in
      heart and prayer and garb. It lends a dignity that the Office truly
      deserves, and yes, I have said Office elsewhere in lay clothes,
      plenty of times. Here, I would not be allowed to go to choir that way
      and I am glad of it.

      Message 143 of 143 , Jun 1, 2013
        Prayers, please, for the following, and for all their families and all who take care of them:

        Barbara, dementia worsening, major meltdown on Friday, and for her husband, Jim.

        a member of Jane's family newly diagnosed with cancer.

        Al. His vision is critical to his work. He had cataract surgery and now the lens that was implanted will have to be removed Monday and replaced with a new one. Doc says there is a high risk of a detached retina. Please pray that God will guide the surgeon's hands and for complete healing.

        Denise, that she get her marriage blessed and return to the Sacraments.

        The fourth degree of humility
        and contradictions
        and even any kind of injustice,
        For the Scripture says,