Holy Rule for Apr. 1

    Message 1 of 144 , Mar 31, 2013
      +PAX

      Pryaers for the following:

      Margaret, for whom we prayed, is not doing well. Prayers for her and all the staff caring for her, and esp. for her son, Ordice, heart and other health issues, and all her family.

      Cathy, cancer is vigourously back, mastectomy next week, fluid on her lungs and facing more cheno.

      Chapter 50: On Sisters Who are Working
      Far From the Oratory or Are on a Journey

      Those sisters who are working at a great distance
      and cannot get to the oratory at the proper time --
      the Abbess judging that such is the case --
      shall perform the Work of God
      in the place where they are working,
      bending their knees in reverence before God.

      Likewise those who have been sent on a journey
      shall not let the appointed Hours pass by,
      but shall say the Office by themselves as well as they can
      and not neglect to render the task of their service.

      REFLECTION

      Here's a chapter that speaks loud and clear to Oblates in the world.
      We must carry our monastery and, to a certain
      extent, even its choir, in our hearts. It is a fact that we are away
      from the monastery most of the time. We may wish it were otherwise,
      God, for His own reasons, may not.

      Hence, we need to study with special attention the means to carry not
      just the monastery and choir, but the entire Holy Rule and all of our
      Order in our hearts. There must our cloisters be built. The reins of
      obedience for us come not from walls and stones, not from the
      constant presence of a community to help us, but from our free will
      and loving gift, from the mindful vigilance of our hearts. This
      cloister of the heart, if nurtured, can become in truth a "paradisus
      claustralis", a cloistered paradise! But it does take time!

      A perennial concern of Oblates is how to say the Office in the world,
      or how much of it to say. Actually, that concern is SO perennial that
      one can easily get bogged down in it, spinning one's wheels! Satan
      doesn't care whether you get caught by temptations to murder or by
      other temptations, so long as you get caught!

      The answer here is loud and clear, both terribly simple and (like the
      perfection of so many simple things,) not a little daunting: "as well
      as they can." Now look at this precept, really look at it. That means
      that you will never be able to solemnly intone the Hours in many, if
      not most of the places you live and work. Which also means that God,
      of all the most merciful and loving, clearly understands the limits
      of your life.

      I hesitate to mention depression too often, but because it is my
      personal experience and I know that it has tremendous connections to
      the spiritual life for good or ill, I'll risk it! Ever hear about one
      of the symptoms of depression being trouble concentrating? Let me
      tell you, beloveds, when I can deny any other sign, I can never deny
      that one.

      Twenty minutes of memorized prayers and Psalms takes an
      hour or more. And certainly NOT because one is swept up into the
      seventh heaven! Quite the reverse! One's mind jumps everywhere, like
      an agile monkey on speed leaping from tree to tree in the canopy of
      an endlessly confusing jungle. The words are just repeated, with so
      little attention, feeling or meaning. And even that is a crushing
      effort at times. Sigh...

      If you are at all like me, you will feel badly about that: "Oh, no!
      I've been distracted at prayer again..." Don't make it any worse than
      it already is: God fully knows WHY we are distracted, why we are
      limited by anything within or without. So long as you didn't deliberately
      intend and set out to pray mindlessly, don't worry. (And no one, I hope, does
      that!) God may actually permit those distractions to humble us. Just calm
      down and do the best you can.

      I have long since resigned myself to ruefully chuckling that
      often I am no better at all than a mindless, mechanical prayer wheel,
      like those spun in Tibet. I hope God accepts all our prayer wheel
      days and I really think He does! So long as we are not deliberately
      slovenly or careless about prayer, it delights God, and, as one of
      the Fathers observed, even distracted prayer makes the devil mad!

      A quick suggestion as a way to bring monastery and choir into our
      busy day. This is one of my favorites, one of two prayers proper to
      the morning hour of Prime. It is easily memorized and therefore VERY
      portable! It can sneak into the tiniest of places in a busy day and
      carry the heart right to God and its cloister of peace and truth.
      Enjoy!!

      " O Lord God, King of heaven and earth, be pleased this day to direct
      and sanctify, to rule and govern our hearts and bodies, our thoughts,
      words and deeds according to Your law and in obedience to Your
      commandments. Now and forever may we attain salvation and freedom by
      Your help, O Savior of the world, Who lives and reigns forever and
      ever. Amen"

      http://www.stmarysmonastery.org/

      Message 144 of 144 , Jan 16

        But if anyone should presume to do so,