Holy Rule for Mar. 30

    Message 1 of 144 , Mar 29, 2013
      +PAX

      May our Father grant us all peace of mind to put aside the cares and distractions of our lives so we may focus our hearts, souls and minds upon Christ who on Good Friday died for our sins.

      Deo gratias, Mick, for whom we prayed only has a malformed blood vesel in his brain, no surgery needed.

      Prayers for Bob, whose chemo has been cut back.

      Prayers for Matty, age 12, for her release and deliverance from the demonic influences she is living under during these most important formative years of her life.

      Lord,
      help us all as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace.

      Chapter 48: On the Daily Manual Labor

      On Sundays, let all occupy themselves in reading,
      except those who have been appointed to various duties.
      But if anyone should be so negligent and shiftless
      that she will not or cannot study or read,
      let her be given some work to do
      so that she will not be idle.

      Weak or sickly sisters should be assigned a task or craft
      of such a nature as to keep them from idleness
      and at the same time not to overburden them or drive them away
      with excessive toil.
      Their weakness must be taken into consideration by the Abbess.

      REFLECTION

      The greatest mentor in my monastic life was Brother Patrick Creamer,
      OSB, of St. Leo Abbey in Florida. I learned so much from Brother Patrick.
      He had such a great influence on my life. He died September 14, 2004, two weeks
      short of his 90th birthday. Say a prayer for him. My debt to him is great and
      much of what I pass on to you I received from Patrick first. I have long
      hoped that even in the slightest and most occasional of ways, I could
      be a Patrick now and then to someone else.

      Years ago, Brother Patrick told me: "Never judge yourself by others-
      there will always be people who will do more than you and people who
      do less." There's a very obvious corollary to that maxim: never judge
      others by yourself, either! I have struggled for years to learn both.
      I still have not succeeded, but I keep trying. Every time I remember
      those words I am shamed at how many more times I forget them. I hope
      and pray all of you are much better students of life than I am!

      The Abbot is not the only one who has to see, really see weakness and
      allow for it. All of us do. That's what it means to bear one
      another's burdens as well as we can. If and when so-and-so finally
      gets their act together, it is highly unlikely that they will be an
      exact clone of someone so utterly perfect as ourselves! We can be so
      self-centered that we unwittingly actually expect that to happen. If
      we stop to look at how ludicrous such a thing is, we'll have to
      laugh, because if we didn't, we'd cry.

      God made individuals, tons of them. Their optimal state is going to
      be just as individual, just as different , one from another. Hey,
      that's the beauty of the mosaic, which would, after all, have all the
      charm of a tiled floor if all the pieces were the same color and
      boring shape...

      It is not just the weakness of others we have to see. We have to see
      our own, as well. How many people there are who are thinking: "When
      Jerome gets his ducks in a row, he'll be just like me." Sorry, y'all.
      Ain't gonna happen, no more than you all are going to wind up (God
      forbid!) looking frighteningly like me. Strengths and weakness are
      the only tools we have to work with. If we don't even see them, they
      won't be much good.

      I confess that I do not know 20% of what my computer can do. I'll
      probably never know most of its ability. That's often the case with
      computers, but how tragic it is if we allow that to happen with
      ourselves. That's why the monastic struggle points us to even deeper
      self-examination, self-knowledge and humility.

      Hey, a hard drive is neither here nor there in many senses, but a human
      soul needs a LOT of disk scanning and defragmentation. There'd better
      be a good anti-virus program, too, as well as lots of extra memory!
      Fortunately, these things cost nowhere near what software does. They were all
      bought for us at a tremendous price. Just ask the Guy Who did that
      and He'll give you all the free downloads you could ever need!

      Message 144 of 144 , Jan 16

        But if anyone should presume to do so,
        At the same time,
        and in observance of the Rule,