Holy Rule for Mar. 26

    Message 1 of 144 , Mar 25, 2013
      +PAX

      Please pray for healing for Cheryl. Sent to the ER and admitted for being light headed, sweating, and tightness in her chest. It is possible one of her Stents might be clogging. Please also pray for her husband and son and all the family who are very concerned.

      Prayers for Jennifer H. age 30, stage 4 cancer

      Prayers for Ilse, 46, competent and hard-working secretary, needs badly a new job. She left a demanding job after years of harassment and is now very upset

      Prayers for Margaret, 88, in the hospital, her situation has taken a turn for the worst.

      Prayers for the eternal rest of Philip, homeless until 6 months sgo, and for all who mourn him, esp. the social service agencies to whom he was dear.

      Lord, help us all as You know and
      Him! Thanks so much. JL

      March 26, July 26, November 25
      Chapter 46: On Those Who Fail in Any Other Matters

      When anyone is engaged in any sort of work,
      whether in the kitchen, in the cellar, in a shop,
      in the bakery, in the garden, while working at some craft,
      or in any other place,
      and she commits some fault,
      or breaks something, or loses something,
      or transgresses in any other way whatsoever,
      if she does not come immediately
      before the Abbess and the community
      of her own accord
      to make satisfaction and confess her fault,
      then when it becomes known through another,
      let her be subjected to a more severe correction.

      But if the sin-sickness of the soul is a hidden one,
      let her reveal it only to the Abbess or to a spiritual mother,
      who knows how to cure her own and others' wounds
      without exposing them and making them public.

      REFLECTION

      I can hear parents relating to this one! "When you break something,
      why don't you tell me? Don't just hide the pieces and say nothing."
      Well, truthfully, sometimes people may have been afraid to ask us
      because of ways we have reacted before, but that's not always so. As
      former guest master, I can assure you that many adults have very adolescent
      habits when it comes to breaking something, even though they
      never had any dealings with me on the matter before. Nothing is said,
      the damage is hidden and I'd find out a lot later.

      That's too bad, because I really like to give a monastic witness to
      the value of people before things and a broken plate or glass or
      toilet is a great way to do that. When people do come to me, always
      apologetic, and often quite sheepish as well, I say something
      like: "Oh, that's OK! We can always get another pitcher, but we can
      never get another you! People before things!"

      People before things. That is so crucial to remember, because all of
      us have lived in a very materialist world. For people of our times,
      some of the Holy Rule's insistence that we be careful of the earthly
      goods of monastery or home must be carefully balanced. Otherwise, we
      run into the trap of becoming monastic materialists, quite a
      contradiction in terms, to say the least.

      Yes, we must be careful of things, but we must always keep uppermost
      in our minds that the greatest treasures or family or monastery or workplace
      are the members themselves. If frugality becomes stinginess, if conservation
      breaks charity, we are way, way off the mark.

      There's another little gem here, right at the end. Not everyone in
      the group needs to know all your details all the time, but letting no
      one at all know is equally foolish. A balance must be obtained here,
      as in all things.

      Knowing whom to tell what to is a delicate art of paying very close
      attention to reality of the other person. Such attentiveness to another is
      an exquisite exercise of personalism, a trait we should all desire! Some
      people may not be trustworthy, others may not profit from knowing for
      other reasons, like distress or worry or even scandal. Weigh those
      considerations very, very carefully.

      Message 144 of 144 , Jan 16

        But if anyone should presume to do so,
        At the same time,