Holy Rule for Mar. 21

    Message 1 of 144 , Mar 20, 2013
      +PAX

      A blessed feast of the Passing of St. Benedict to all! Prayers for all
      Benedictines and Oblates, please.

      Deo gratias, Michael L:oPiccolo has his catheter removed. So far so good, prayers that all gets back to normal for him.

      Prayers, please, for the eternal rest of the following:

      Christy's son, who tiok his own life, and for Christy and all his family and all who mourn him.

      Mary's husband and all his family and all who mourn him, esp. Mary.

      Prayers for the following:

      Kathy, her home burned to the ground and she lost everything, including her beloved dogs. She had no fire insurance.

      Doris, 85, having heart valve surgery tomorrow.

      Stephen, struggling with alcoholism and staying on the right path.

      Brie, corneal irritation and scrapes on her inner eyelid.

      Chapter 42: That No One Speak After Compline

      Monastics ought to be zealous for silence at all times,
      but especially during the hours of the night.
      For every season, therefore,
      whether there be fasting or two meals,
      let the program be as follows:

      If it be a season when there are two meals,
      then as soon as they have risen from supper
      they shall all sit together,
      and one of them shall read the Conferences
      or the Lives of the Fathers
      or something else that may edify the hearers;
      not the Heptateuch or the Books of Kings, however,
      because it will not be expedient for weak minds
      to hear those parts of Scripture at that hour;
      but they shall be read at other times.

      If it be a day of fast,
      then having allowed a short interval after Vespers
      they shall proceed at once to the reading of the Conferences,
      as prescribed above;
      four or five pages being read, or as much as time permits,
      so that during the delay provided by this reading
      all may come together,
      including those who may have been occupied
      in some work assigned them.

      When all, therefore, are gathered together,
      let them say Compline;
      and when they come out from Compline,
      no one shall be allowed to say anything from that time on.
      And if anyone should be found evading this rule of silence,
      let her undergo severe punishment.
      An exception shall be made
      if the need of speaking to guests should arise
      or if the Abbess should give someone an order.
      But even this should be done with the utmost gravity
      and the most becoming restraint.

      REFLECTION

      I certainly can sing and have sung the praises of the Grand Silence. It
      is lovely and warm and wonderful and familiar and comforting. All of
      that! But I also know that for many Oblates to read those words will
      only underscore painfully the fact that many can NOT have such a
      silence to restore them. So, what about them? What does this chapter
      have for those whose lives and vocations make Grand Silence an
      impossible dream?

      Well, first, and most briefly, we all have to seek out and cherish
      the moments of silence and solitude that may find us from time to
      time. Our society teaches us to be surrounded by noise. There may be
      times we are all but unaware of that we can diminish that noise, or
      when its removal may surprise us. Learn to make the most of such
      times! Try as best you can to increase them, so long as you are not
      stepping on the toes of others, like your family!

      But, perhaps even more importantly, those who are denied this silence need to be
      keenly aware that the sacrifice of a thing often gives greater spiritual growth
      than its possession would. That is,
      admittedly, terribly cold comfort, but it is so very true. The
      longing heart, the broken heart, the unfulfilled heart, these are all
      very ripe fields for the love and mercy of God. Not that such mercy
      and love will necessarily be felt! Often, quite the reverse!

      God loves the broken heart with the most tender of compassions: its breached
      walls make His entry easier.
      That is why trust and faith are so important at times of deprivation
      or feelings of desolation or aridity.. It is through trust that we reap the
      benefits, through
      knowing, even though it may not make us feel any better, that Christ
      is mercy, is not mean, is not absent and is NEVER uncaring. Never.
      As St. John Chrysostom said: "God is never the enemy of His creatures."

      Jesus told St. Faustina that He was even more close to her in times
      of desolation, when she could not feel Him, than He was in the
      closest of ecstasies. He also told her, when she was in the dull ache
      of suffering days that seemed endless, that in heaven she would long
      for such days. Why? Because then she would know their worth!

      Trust me, beloveds, I know how this can sound. There have been (and
      still are!) times in my life when hearing words like those I write
      this morning could only trigger aversion in me. But they are true.
      Maddening, I know, but true......!

      Message 144 of 144 , Jan 16

        But if anyone should presume to do so,
        At the same time,