Holy Rule for Mar. 20

    Message 1 of 144 , Mar 19, 2013
      +PAX

      Prayers, please, for the following:

      Gerry B., prostate cancer....surgery March 25.

      Joseph P., Brain tumor....young man with 1 young child.

      Ida & John G., Elderly & both in the hospital. Possible 2nd amputation in the future.

      Don, having surgery Tuesday.

      Hilda, having a recurrence of cancer.

      Jacqueline, not doing well at all.

      Adrienne also doing poorly.

      Agnes, and 80-plus year old woman due to have surgery and who is quite frightened about it.

      Elaine and Craig, moving to British Columbia.

      Aiden, having brain surgery to remove a tumor. Prayers for his safety, his family and all the doctors working on him.

      JM, badly needing to find direction and purpose in life.
      Lord, help us all as You know and
      Him! Thanks so much. JL

      March 20, July 20, November 19
      Chapter 41: At What Hours the Meals Should Be Taken

      From holy Easter until Pentecost
      let the brothers take dinner at the sixth hour
      and supper in the evening.

      From Pentecost throughout the summer,
      unless the monks have work in the fields
      let them fast on Wednesdays and Fridays until the ninth hour;
      on the other days let them dine at the sixth hour.
      This dinner at the sixth hour shall be the daily schedule
      if they have work in the fields
      or the heat of summer is extreme;
      the Abbot's foresight shall decide on this.

      Thus it is that he should adapt and arrange everything
      in such a way that souls may be saved
      and that the brethren may do their work
      without just cause for murmuring.

      From the Ides of September until the beginning of Lent
      let them always take their dinner at the ninth hour.

      In Lent until Easter let them dine in the evening.
      But this evening hour shall be so determined
      that they will not need the light of a lamp while eating,
      Indeed at all seasons
      let the hour, whether for supper or for dinner, be so arranged
      that everything will be done by daylight.

      REFLECTION

      While I wrote this largely about the US, it is, in many points, very
      easily applied to the developed world in general. I am trying
      to become more and more conscious of my international audience!

      In the US, we can be so glutted with food. Far from want, we are
      surrounded, even bombarded with plenty- and not all of it that
      nourishing! Consumerist marketing turns things upside down: food
      becomes more or less solely for pleasure, not need.

      It's a fair guess that this attitude to food in the US has influenced
      our attitude to fasting negatively. Now we look on the least thing as
      a dreadful privation, when those of us Roman Catholics who are over fifty
      can clearly recall meatless Fridays every week, all year and fasting from
      midnight on water only for Communion, even if you were just 7 years old!!

      When the US Bishops addressed the issue of Friday abstinence, they
      did not abolish it. They merely said some other form of penance might
      be substituted. Whoops! That got lost in a big hurry. How many of us
      Catholics do something penitential on Friday when we do not
      abstain from meat? Might be time to take a really hard look at that.

      As always, Oblates in the world must find ways that they can fast or
      abstain without imposing monastic ways on their non-monastic
      families. However, it is worthy of note that Friday abstinence is of
      the Church, not the Holy Rule and might be safely re-instituted, with
      careful explanation as to WHY we do it, for whole families. The
      meatless idea might be easiest for many, but what if something else
      in addition was done to really set Friday apart? Skip one, just one half-hour TV
      show and you have a slot for a devotional family practice like
      Scripture sharing or the Rosary. Could we imagine just 30 minutes
      once a week of TV gone? Find something that works for you and
      then be faithful to it.

      Our spirits are like our bodies in many respects. If we get soft, we
      get weak, if we get lazy, our energy actually diminishes while our
      total lives suffer from that inactivity. That's why Christian life
      itself, not just monastic life, is a life requiring a fair amount of
      discipline, of pushing oneself, of self-denial. Those values still
      exist in the secular world, but are usually only invoked for profit, fame,
      power or sex. See what I mean? We need badly to get our acts together
      in the affluent, developed nations.

      Message 144 of 144 , Jan 16

        But if anyone should presume to do so,
        At the same time,