Holy Rule for Mar. 19

    Message 1 of 144 , Mar 18 4:12 PM
      +PAX

      Prayers, please, for Br. Joseph and Sr. Mary Joseph on their feastday, and prayers for all our Josephs, Graces and blessings to all!

      Continued prayers for Dot, still in rehab for COPD and breathing issues.

      Lord, help us all as You know
      praise Him! Thanks so much. JL

      March 19, July 19, November 18
      Chapter 40: On the Measure of Drink

      "Everyone has her own gift from God,
      one in this way and another in that" (1 Cor. 7:7).
      It is therefore with some misgiving
      that we regulate the measure of others' sustenance.
      Nevertheless, keeping in view the needs of the weak,
      we believe that a hemina of wine a day is sufficient for each.
      But those to whom God gives the strength to abstain
      should know that they will receive a special reward.

      If the circumstances of the place,
      or the work
      or the heat of summer
      require a greater measure,
      the superior shall use her judgment in the matter,
      taking care always
      that there be no occasion for surfeit or drunkenness.
      We read
      it is true,
      that wine is by no means a drink for monastics;
      but since the monastics of our day cannot be persuaded of this
      let us at least agree to drink sparingly and not to satiety,
      because "wine makes even the wise fall away" (Eccles. 19:2).

      But where the circumstances of the place are such
      that not even the measure prescribed above can be supplied,
      but much less or none at all,
      let those who live there bless God and not murmur.
      Above all things do we give this admonition,
      that they abstain from murmuring.

      REFLECTION

      Two things stand out here: the gentleness of St. Benedict and the
      necessity of praising God in every circumstance.

      St. Benedict admits he is hesitant to set forth a principle of how
      much others he will never know might need for their sustenance. He
      may not have seen just how many other people and lands and times he
      was writing for, but he did see enough to be uneasy. This is not the
      voice or tone of a relentless dictator whose undue hunger for control
      finds his finger in every pie. Gentleness and humility are two of the finest
      gems in any crown of authority.

      Every bit as important, but hidden and even lost amidst worries about
      how much a hemina is in metric, is the wonderful injunction that
      those who lack must praise. However much we have of any good thing,
      it is from God, not ourselves. How little we have may very well have
      nothing to do with God at all.

      Even if it does, even if He wills straitened times and tightened belts for
      our good and growth, we must bless Him and not murmur or gripe. I can
      assure you that, if I had all I wanted at earlier periods in my life, there
      is very little chance I would be a monk and no chance at all that I would be
      the person I am today. God used all those "lacks" as riches, as tools of most
      exquisite precision. He knew what He was doing, I did not!

      Look back at the Instruments of Good Works in Chapter 4 and the Steps
      of Humility in Chapter 7 and you will find in both a statement of
      this same principle. The monastic is not to complain or murmur, but
      to be happy- even thankful!- for whatever is received. That gratitude
      and joy is essential because everything that is received is a gift
      from God. Everything. Realizing that is a tremendously important
      piece of the puzzle in our monastic searching and striving.

      http://www.stmarysmonastery.org/

      Message 144 of 144 , Jan 16

        But if anyone should presume to do so,
        At the same time,