Holy Rule for Mar. 17

    Message 1 of 143 , Mar 16, 2013

      A blessed feast of St. Patrick to all, special prayers for our troubled Church
      in Ireland and prayers that the truly religious aspects of today are restored.

      Please say a prayer for the eternal rest of my dear mentor, Bro. Patrick
      Creamer, OSB. He taught me so much of what I pass on and he always LOVED his
      feastday!

      Pryaers for the eternal rest of Jean, 55, a pastoral associate who died of cancer, and for all her family and all who mourn her, esp. Emilia.

      Lord, help us all as You know and will. God's
      will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks
      so much. JL

      March 17, July 17, November 16
      Chapter 38: On the Weekly Reader

      The meals of the sisters should not be without reading.
      Nor should the reader be
      anyone who happens to take up the book;
      but there should be a reader for the whole week,
      entering that office on Sunday.
      Let this incoming reader,
      after Mass and Communion,
      ask all to pray for her
      that God may keep her from the spirit of pride
      And let her intone the following verse,
      which shall be said three times by all in the oratory:
      "O Lord, open my lips,
      and my mouth shall declare Your praise."
      Then, having received a blessing,
      let her enter on the reading.

      And let absolute silence be kept at table,
      so that no whispering may be heard
      nor any voice except the reader's.
      As to the things they need while they eat and drink,
      let the sisters pass them to one another
      so that no one need ask for anything.
      If anything is needed, however,
      let it be asked for by means of some audible sign
      rather than by speech.
      Nor shall anyone at table presume to ask questions
      about the reading or anything else,
      lest that give occasion for talking;
      except that the Superior may perhaps wish
      to say something briefly for the purpose of edification.

      The sister who is reader for the week
      shall take a little ablution before she begins to read,
      on account of the Holy Communion
      and lest perhaps the fast be hard for her to bear.
      She shall take her meal afterwards
      with the kitchen and table servers of the week.

      The sisters are not to read or chant in order,
      but only those who edify their hearers.

      REFLECTION

      It is a safe bet that Oblates who don't live alone rarely eat in silence, so
      it would be easy to ask what on earth this chapter has for them, for all of us,
      in fact. Easy! Another reminder to bless every action and service, no matter how
      small is here. So is the kindhearted father Benedict: let the reader have a
      little something before reading, so the hunger doesn't overwhelm. (It is
      funny how quickly we become accustomed to eating at EXACTLY this or that time...
      Twenty minutes later can start some stomach rumblings!) A third and perhaps
      less obvious point is that, when it comes to the spiritual life and its
      nourishment, St. Benedict does not like to waste time. He makes judicious use of
      the time we feed our bodies to feed our hearts, minds and souls!

      Let's start with that wasted time idea.. Look at some of the other areas we
      waste time actively, or passively, because we have no choice. Grocery store
      lines come to mind, so do waiting for elevators or trains or buses, to say
      nothing of
      riding on same. An excellent opportunity for silent prayer! One could also
      carry a small book all the time, popping it out when the occasions arise. I used
      to study college texts in line at the store. I was working full-time and I
      needed every minute. But we all need every minute to grow spiritually, because
      we don't know how many of those minutes we have!

      Driving, if one has a tape or cd deck in the car, can be a time to "make up"
      for some of that lectio divina we never seem to have enough hours in a day to
      finish. I speak as one formerly hopelessly addicted to rock 'n roll oldies- I
      was a radio DJ, after all- there are a lot of tapes I could have played that
      would have done far more for me than the Beach Boys or the Dave Clark 5!
      (Though I will always hold both dear!) No radio or
      tape in your car? Make sure you have a Rosary.. There's plenty of time for one
      and you will find that traffic jams, while still aggravating, can be less so
      when something worthwhile to do is close at hand.

      Oblates who live alone surely can play a tape of reading while they eat, but
      I strongly feel that even families, if the children are old enough to
      understand, can glean something here. What about a brief, very brief reading at
      the beginning of each meal, right after grace? Could be most anything, but the
      Saint of the Day, a free e list, has perfect length Saint bios with a quote and
      short point or two to ponder. (Subscribe at: _http://www.americancatholic.org_
      (http://www.americancatholic.org/) ) You and your family will learn about the
      Saints, about the faith. This can be done in less than 3 minutes or so, then
      (hopefully!) discussion and questions follow.

      You might, also, try a different kind of "silence" at meals. What about a
      "fast" from all talk that doesn't praise or compliment, an occasional meal when
      you agree to do nothing but tell each other the good things you appreciate about
      each member? Not shabby! Or maybe a meal when we never mention ourselves,
      only others at table? There are all kinds of tricks to turn conversation into
      something saving rather than harming, and total silence is only one approach!

      And don't forget that little gem about blessing every action. If grace before
      meals (maybe even after, too!) is not already a custom, make it so. This is
      not turning your family into monastics, it is a basic Christian practice that we
      should never have lost.

      Message 143 of 143 , Jun 1, 2013
        Prayers, please, for the following, and for all their families and all who take care of them:

        Barbara, dementia worsening, major meltdown on Friday, and for her husband, Jim.

        a member of Jane's family newly diagnosed with cancer.

        Al. His vision is critical to his work. He had cataract surgery and now the lens that was implanted will have to be removed Monday and replaced with a new one. Doc says there is a high risk of a detached retina. Please pray that God will guide the surgeon's hands and for complete healing.

        Denise, that she get her marriage blessed and return to the Sacraments.

        The fourth degree of humility
        and contradictions
        and even any kind of injustice,
        For the Scripture says,