Holy Rule for Mar. 16

    Message 1 of 143 , Mar 15, 2013

      Prayers ffor Isabelle, knee sugrery and recurrent infection

      Prayers for for Donna, AJ and Amanda, still heavily mourning the death of their husband and father, Alan, and for his eternal rest

      Chapter 37: On the Old and Children

      Although human nature itself is drawn to special kindness towards
      these times of life, that is towards the old and children, still
      the authority of the Rule should also provide for them.

      Let their weakness be always taken into account, and let them by
      no means be held to the rigor of the Rule with regard to food. On
      the contrary, let a kind consideration be shown to them, and let
      them eat before the regular hours.

      REFLECTION

      The tenderness of St. Benedict shines through here. These are
      strong words for weakness: "ALWAYS taken into account," and "BY NO
      MEANS held to the rigor of the Rule for food." Though he prefaces
      his chapter recalling that any healthy human nature has a certain
      level of consideration for these age groups, our holy Father Benedict
      quickly returns to a very consistent theme of the Holy Rule: we are
      called to more than mere nature. We are called to enhance our
      nature to the heights of sanctity. Our considerate mindfulness for
      every person and their individual needs must be greater than that of the
      world.

      St. Benedict's aim is that each of us ALWAYS see the person first.
      That kind of loving mindfulness will make the chapters on the sick
      and the young and old complete no-brainers. This is the way we
      should be seeing everyone: real people for whom they really are,
      nothing more or less. Circumstances do arise that require greater
      attention, but the foundation of that is a firm theology of
      personalism.

      It should come as no great shock that the most frequent obstacle to
      viewing others correctly is ourselves. Our own image, our self, our
      projections get in the way of the lens of truth. We have to spend
      our monastic struggle learning to put those things aside, so that
      the light of others may shine through unobstructed. With our own
      needs at least on a back burner, or better yet, shelved far off in
      the pantry, we can begin to truly see others and their needs. Wipe
      the mud of self from our eyes and we can see the treasures that
      surround us. Mother Teresa of Calcutta surely did that. She saw beauty that
      all of us less holy than she missed big-time and she saw it in
      everyone.

      A key to all this is a favorite quote from Antoine de St.
      Exupery's "Little Prince":

      "The essential is invisible to the eyes. One can only see rightly
      with the heart."

      That's what our Rule demands: the cultivation of the very loving
      eyes of our hearts! And we open those eyes by expanding our hearts
      in love!

      Message 143 of 143 , Jun 1, 2013
        Prayers, please, for the following, and for all their families and all who take care of them:

        Barbara, dementia worsening, major meltdown on Friday, and for her husband, Jim.

        a member of Jane's family newly diagnosed with cancer.

        Al. His vision is critical to his work. He had cataract surgery and now the lens that was implanted will have to be removed Monday and replaced with a new one. Doc says there is a high risk of a detached retina. Please pray that God will guide the surgeon's hands and for complete healing.

        Denise, that she get her marriage blessed and return to the Sacraments.

        The fourth degree of humility
        and contradictions
        and even any kind of injustice,
        For the Scripture says,