Holy Rule for Mar. 12

    Message 1 of 143 , Mar 11, 2013

      Prayers for the eternal rest of the following, for all their loved ones and all who mourn them:

      Marlene, for whom we prayed, died peacefully, prayers too for all those grieving her.

      2 adults and 5 children lost in a fire in Kentucky.

      Special intentions for: Beverly, Catherine D. Kari M. Linda F. Trey H. Linda A. Mary G. Jacque M. Tommy A. & Linda A. Mary G. Donna Jacque M. Jean Tim Mary Jo Steven S. Alex E. Margie F. Ayn, Eli and Hannah, Ann L. Ginger and Shannon

      Prayers for Andrea, recurrent breast cancer, and Dave, her husband.

      Prayers for Mike, lung cnacer, having radiation and chemo, and all his family.

      Prayers for Terry. discernment as to whether or not to perform a very difficult task facing him. if he chooses to,,may he have the energy, focus stamina and clarity to carry it out successfuly as it is going to be a very tough job.

      Jo continued prayers -- tough job situation.

      Deo gratias for past prayers answered

      Lord, help
      us all as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God
      is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL

      March 12, July 12, November 11
      Chapter 34: Whether All Should Receive in Equal Measure What Is
      Necessary

      Let us follow the Scripture,
      "Distribution was made to each
      according as anyone had need" (Acts 4:35).
      By this we do not mean that there should be respecting of persons
      (which God forbid),
      but consideration for infirmities.
      She who needs less should thank God and not be discontented;
      but she who needs more
      should be humbled by the thought of her infirmity
      rather than feeling important
      on account of the kindness shown her.
      Thus all the members will be at peace.

      Above all, let not the evil of murmuring appear
      for any reason whatsoever
      in the least word or sign.
      If anyone is caught at it,
      let her be placed under very severe discipline.

      REFLECTION

      I came here in June of 1996 as a professed diocesan hermit who
      was an Oblate. From the beginning, I lived in the guesthouse,
      because caring for the guesthouse was the mutual arrangement under
      which I moved here from Boston. From day one that meant all kinds of
      exceptions with permission for me. My life in a Boston rectory had
      been very different from my brothers' lives here. My superior told me
      to pretty much bring the life I had with me and make adjustments as
      necessary after I arrived.

      Well, it's astounding at how few adjustments got made... at least by
      me. It was my brothers who accepted the exceptions. The grace and
      charity with which they did so was- and continues to be- an
      outstanding example of how this chapter can be lived. Not only did
      they not murmur (I quite expected that they might,) they simply loved
      me, took me for the roaring exception that I am
      without further ado. It humbled me then and it humbles me still. I
      stand in awe of my brothers, every single one of whom is younger (in
      age, not profession,) than me. They are vastly better monks. I
      probably couldn't live their life exactly for more than 20 minutes or
      so. That does not matter to them. I do. Wow!

      That can really make one deeply grateful and yes, my infirmities do
      humble me and no, I don't feel important because of the kindness they
      show me. I feel only gratuitous love, richly undeserved. That, my
      friends is what we get from God, and that is what all our communities
      should be giving to the weak ones in our midst. In home, work, school
      or cloister we should all be giving the strugglers what I have
      received here.

      Our Congregation requires a legal contract between Community and
      Oblate for claustral oblation. Hence, when I transferred everything
      here and dropped the diocesan connection, the Chapter formally
      approved my embarrassing life of exceptions. I used to think that the
      exceptions were all that could be seen, but I know that's not true.

      My brothers see Jerome, that's all. Nothing more, nothing less. By
      their loving deeds they freely accord me a fullness and equality of
      membership that I would never dream of demanding, and they do so
      repeatedly. It is they who remind me that I belong here, not the
      other way around! They never remind me in a patronizing way, either.
      It's more like: "DUH?! You're one of us, you know!" And I am, I
      really am, but only by God's grace and that of my brothers, nothing
      at all of me.

      How I wish all of you could get to know my Community. If you saw them
      in action (and me in INaction!) it would preach a far more eloquent
      sermon on this chapter than anything I could ever write. By the way,
      I surely am accepted by my sisters here, too, but I chose to write
      today of the closer ties I have with my own community of brothers.

      Message 143 of 143 , Jun 1, 2013
        Prayers, please, for the following, and for all their families and all who take care of them:

        Barbara, dementia worsening, major meltdown on Friday, and for her husband, Jim.

        a member of Jane's family newly diagnosed with cancer.

        Al. His vision is critical to his work. He had cataract surgery and now the lens that was implanted will have to be removed Monday and replaced with a new one. Doc says there is a high risk of a detached retina. Please pray that God will guide the surgeon's hands and for complete healing.

        Denise, that she get her marriage blessed and return to the Sacraments.

        The fourth degree of humility
        and contradictions
        and even any kind of injustice,
        For the Scripture says,