Holy Rule for Mar. 10

    Message 1 of 143 , Mar 9, 2013

      Continued prayers for Michael LoPiccolo, he is still about the same and thanks all for your prayers.

      Continued prayers for Dot, COPD, out of ICU now, but still hospitalized.

      Prayers for the eternal rest of Cos, Br. Vincent's Dad, on the anniversary of
      his death and for his widow, Vita, and all their family.

      Lord, help us all as You know and will. God's will is best.
      All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL

      March 10, July 10, November 9
      Chapter 32: On the Tools and Property of the Monastery

      For the care of the monastery's property
      in tools, clothing and other articles
      let the Abbess appoint sisters
      on whose manner of life and character she can rely;
      and let her, as she shall judge to be expedient,
      consign the various articles to them,
      to be looked after and to be collected again.
      The Abbess shall keep a list of these articles,
      so that
      as the sisters succeed one another in their assignments
      she may know what she gives and what she receives back.

      If anyone treats the monastery's property
      in a slovenly or careless way,
      let her be corrected.
      If she fails to amend,
      let her undergo the discipline of the Rule.

      REFLECTION

      OK, for "monastery" substitute the word "planet" and you will
      understand that there is a very Benedictine imperative for ecology!
      The planet on which we live is surely a great treasure for which any
      monastery or any one of us is responsible.

      And that is the further message here: responsible! Monasteries do
      own things, but always with stewardship, always with sharing. So it
      must be for each of us, for every Christian. We are stewards of great
      and priceless goods. We are entrusted with the very arena of life,
      the only arena of life as we know it. God created this awesome world,
      this splendor of life and beauty for the common good and salvation
      of all people. We must keep that fact in clear focus.

      Contrast how things of actually much less worth are guarded and
      protected. Would that we surrounded the earth with as much love and
      care as the Crown Jewels of England receive, or the Pieta, or other
      great treasures of art or history. What if all rainforests were as
      protected as the freakishly embalmed body of Lenin? These are things
      on which much care has been expended, but our lives do not depend on
      them. Our lives do depend on the earth, and so do the lives and
      chances for salvation of many others who would come after us, who
      OUGHT to come after us, who will need our world to live.

      Americans in particular can equate lack of waste with stinginess.
      It's a terrible view of things, but deeply rooted. Consumerist
      society encourages waste because it fuels profits for the few at the
      top. Sad that many below cannot be made to see that when we waste, we
      are hurting ourselves in more ways than one: ecologically,
      economically AND spiritually.

      Waste is a lack of mindfulness for others. The reasons we have been
      subtly taught to live with criminal waste as if it were nothing are false,
      totally false. They are not luxury, they deny others. Why live a lie? We do
      not live on a planet of infinite resources.

      Monasteries and homes are microcosms of the universe. We must never
      look at conservation as if our actions alone will advance the rise or
      prevent the fall. They very well may do neither. What our actions CAN
      do is limit our complicity. That is the only safe rationale for
      undertaking them.

      Blessed Teresa of Calcutta said that we must start small, that every drop
      of fresh water makes the ocean less salty. It is, however, a fair bet that
      the Atlantic will remain quite salty, indeed, in spite of our efforts! That's
      not the point.

      All God will ever ask us is what we added to the problems around us, what we
      failed to do to make things different or better. We will be judged on
      efforts, not results. The results are often completely out of our hands, but the
      striving never is. Littlest things done with great love can truly change the
      world,
      whether we can see that or not.

      God knows many things single-handedly cannot be fixed by us alone. No average
      person could have stopped the Holocaust in Nazi Germany alone, but some chose
      not to be in any way part of it, often at the cost of their lives. What if
      everybody had done that? See what I mean? A wealth of opportunity in choice
      awaits all of us.

      We have failed to call most valuable what is truly most valuable. Nothing and
      no one at all can live, can seek God or do His works without the planet on
      which we live. Benedictinism must always and everywhere call us to a
      conversion from that falsehood.

      Message 143 of 143 , Jun 1, 2013
        Prayers, please, for the following, and for all their families and all who take care of them:

        Barbara, dementia worsening, major meltdown on Friday, and for her husband, Jim.

        a member of Jane's family newly diagnosed with cancer.

        Al. His vision is critical to his work. He had cataract surgery and now the lens that was implanted will have to be removed Monday and replaced with a new one. Doc says there is a high risk of a detached retina. Please pray that God will guide the surgeon's hands and for complete healing.

        Denise, that she get her marriage blessed and return to the Sacraments.

        The fourth degree of humility
        and contradictions
        and even any kind of injustice,
        For the Scripture says,