Holy Rule for Mar. 9

    Message 1 of 144 , Mar 8, 2013
      +PAX

      Michael LoPiccolo is having a lot of pain and bleeding, he still needs prayers. He thanks all for your prayers and please, keep them coming. He is having a tough time right now.

      Dot, COPD, whom we prayed for, has been moved to ICU. Please continue praying.

      Prayers for a blessed Lent for all of our readers, prayers for all our Oblates
      on the feast of St. Frances of Rome, their patroness.

      Lord,
      help us all as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace.

      Chapter 31: What Kind of Man the Cellarer of the Monastery Should Be

      Above all things let him have humility;
      and if he has nothing else to give
      let him give a good word in answer
      for it is written,
      "A good word is above the best gift" (Eccles. 18:17).

      Let him have under his care
      all that the Abbot has assigned to him,
      but not presume to deal with what he has forbidden him.

      Let him give the brethren their appointed allowance of food
      without any arrogance or delay,
      that they may not be scandalized,
      mindful of the Word of God as to what he deserves
      "who shall scandalize one of the little ones" (Matt 18:6).

      If the community is a large one,
      let helpers be given him,
      that by their assistance
      he may fulfill with a quiet mind the office committed to him.
      The proper times should be observed
      in giving the things that have to be given
      and asking for the things that have to be asked for,
      that no one may be troubled or vexed in the house of God.

      REFLECTION

      Many would shrug at a chapter like this saying: "I'm not cellarer.
      What has that to do with me?" Everything, everything. This chapter,
      like those on the Abbot, is a masterful view of Benedictine authority
      and stewardship in any capacity. We should never presume to usurp
      roles that are not our own, but in covering those roles, the Holy
      Rule again and again gives models to ALL.

      I am not cellarer, but this chapter reminds me that no
      job is an empire, a turf, a personal fiefdom that one administers
      temperamentally and without love. Jobs, for Benedictines in world or
      monastery, are stewardships, not power trips. (At least that OUGHT to
      be true. God save us, it is often otherwise...) If people have to
      become so careful of a given official, wearing kid gloves at every
      possible turn, something is very, very wrong. Now the community is
      reduced to serving the official, when it is supposed to be the other
      way around!

      Of course, the needs of those who come to us at work or at home can
      be overwhelming, even oppressive at times, but we are told not to
      react to those buttons pushed, but to react with love and humility.
      Whatever your job is, the reality is that if there were none with
      needs, you would likely be unemployed. Always remember that. We
      serve, we do not rule. Our call is to forget ourselves in service,
      not to present our intransigent selves to be served.

      Our motto is Peace, because St. Benedict knew how completely
      essential to a fruitful monastic life inner peace was and is. That's
      why he gives this really rather astounding principle: "...no one may
      be troubled or vexed in the house of God." It's God's house, not
      ours. Wake up, folks, if the maid is giving orders tyrannically,
      something's wrong at the manor! It's not her house. It's His.

      Message 144 of 144 , Jan 16

        But if anyone should presume to do so,
        At the same time,
        and in observance of the Rule,