Holy Rule for Mar. 6

    Message 1 of 144 , Mar 5, 2013
      +PAX

      Pryaers, please, for the eternal rest of the following, for all their families and all who mourn them:

      Richard, and esp. for his Mom, Ellen.

      Angela, for whom we prayed, and for her husband, Ray, devavstated by his loss.

      Prayers for our dear Michael LoPiccolo, 4 hour prostate surgery on Wednesday. Michael will post tomorrow AM, before going in.

      Prayers for Martin, Deo gratias for reurning health after knee replacement, but still a ways to go, so continued prayers, please.

      Prayers for Ellen, many complex situations needing justice, mercy and forgiveness.

      Prayers for the papal conclave which will elect a new Pope.

      Prayers for Cardinal O'Brien of Scotland, resignation accepted under a cloud of scandal, and for his archdiocese and the Church to weather the storm.

      Lord, help us all as You know and
      will. God's will is best. All is

      Chapter 29: Whether Brethren Who Leave the Monastery Should Be
      Received Again

      If a brother
      who through his own fault leaves the monastery
      should wish to return,
      let him first promise full reparation for his having gone away;
      and then let him be received in the lowest place,
      as a test of his humility.
      And if he should leave again,
      let him be taken back again,
      and so a third time;
      but he should understand that after this
      all way of return is denied him.

      REFLECTION

      The Gospel tells us to forgive 70 times 7 times and surely, we must.
      That, however, is a command on us individually, and a command, by the
      way, that calls for forgiveness, not foolhardiness. One needn't keep
      one's hand on the same hot stove throughout all the forgiving!
      At some point, too, probably well before the end of one's forgiveness
      rope, the offender would probably have incurred at least some loss of
      privilege. Obviously, the dog that is forgiven for killing sheep
      several times will not likely tend the flock.

      The thing to remember here is that we are not dealing
      with only two individuals, but a group. Re-entry into a monastery
      can be a very tense thing. It is certainly worth doing, but may
      not be a good thing to do limitless times. It wears out the monk and
      it wears out the community. We must always love, always forgive, but
      sometimes limits to harm have to be set for the good of all.

      St. Benedict is not mean here. There is no element of surprise to the
      offender about the three-strikes- and-you're- out program: she has
      heard it ever since novitiate. It might be construed as mean if there
      were no forewarning, but there is. Anyone coming back for the third time
      knows they are on their last leg. Foul up that time, and you're history.

      The monastery is a specialized society with a specialized goal:
      seeking union with God for all its members. Because of that
      specialized nature, the monastery does not have an infinite
      commitment to anyone, except to one who truly perseveres unto death.
      This is unlike the stronger and more necessary bonds of Church or
      a family.

      Not everyone who wants to join a monastery is truly called to be a
      monastic. Perhaps, too, one is called, but not to that particular
      monastery. People can be allowed to leave, or they can be expelled,
      or they can be told they can never come back after the third time.

      This is a different situation from forgiveness. The one denied
      further entry must, no doubt at all, be forgiven, but he must also
      know that his chances to disrupt the community have come to an end.
      Monasteries need a relative level of peace to fulfill their purpose:
      creating a place in which God may be served and the monastic life
      be fostered. The limits of three times' return have that sacred purpose
      in mind.

      Message 144 of 144 , Jan 16

        But if anyone should presume to do so,
        At the same time,