Holy Rule for Feb. 26

    Message 1 of 144 , Feb 25, 2013
      +PAX

      Prayers for the eternal rest of Kathleen as the lay her to rest and celebrate her life Tuesday and for all her family and all who mourn her, esp. Sister Pat.

      Prayers please for Pedro who is undergoing exploratory surgery in the next day or two for intestinal bleeding from an undiscovered source.

      Update on Marie. She was brought home from the hospital on Friday. Her heart is good but she is still not feeling well. When she was in the hospital they had to start a line in the back of her hand and the needle went to deep which caused a huge lump on the back of her hand which might require plastic surgery. Prayers please that God heals this lump and Marie does not need surgery.

      Prayers for L., prostate surgery scheduled soon.

      Craig and Elaine still need a buyer for their house.

      From Sr. Edith: Prayers for the people of the College of St Scholastica, where we have many gravely ill: Pam, mother of 3 with Stage IV pancreatic cancer; Betsy, mother of 6 with Stage III breast cancer, and now first-year student Kelly with Stage IV colon cancer and first-year student Michael in critical condition following emergency surgery. We entrust them all to the hands of a loving God even as we struggle with the enormity of sorrow at these circumstances.

      Lord, help us all as You
      know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never
      absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL

      February 26, June 27, October 27
      Chapter 20: On Reverence in Prayer

      When we wish to suggest our wants to persons of high station,
      we do not presume to do so
      except with humility and reverence.
      How much the more, then,
      are complete humility and pure devotion necessary
      in supplication of the Lord who is God of the universe!
      And let us be assured
      that it is not in saying a great deal that we shall be heard (Matt
      6:7),
      but in purity of heart and in tears of compunction.
      Our prayer, therefore, ought to be short and pure,
      unless it happens to be prolonged
      by an inspiration of divine grace.
      In community, however, let prayer be very short,
      and when the Superior gives the signal let all rise together.

      REFLECTION

      There is a necessary tension in Benedictine prayer, both public and
      private, between the awesome majesty and otherness of God and His
      infinite closeness and approachability. God is among us. He is not
      the guy next door, but neither is He some untouchable, easily
      offended emperor or sultan. Both these truths must be addressed in
      order to maintain a correct balance.

      God doesn't need ceremony, He doesn't need anything. All the high
      church in the world might (or might not...) tickle His fancy, but it
      does not one whit for Him personally. The rub here is that WE need
      what we offer to God, and that has been all too often forgotten in
      the last 40 years or so. In a very real and subtle sense, we BECOME
      what we offer to God, often quite unnoticed by ourselves.

      The upshot of all this is clear: offer God the lowest possible common
      denominator and that is what those offering will become; offer Him
      empty and presumptuous high church and be not surprised when those
      offering such things become rather pathetically silly themselves. In
      fact, sad fact, either extreme will make people pathetically silly
      and spiritually impoverished besides.

      Balance, always balance! The Holy Rule says "our prayer should short
      and pure." Fine, but the last part of that phrase has often gotten
      lost in the struggles of reform. Just plain short doesn't get it. God
      doesn't care about short, except insofar as it cheats us, those He
      loves.

      The balance of short AND pure will feed a normal soul well.
      Hence, if you find liturgy in any given place leaves you at least
      hungry and maybe starving, it's a safe guess that something might be
      wrong. God is still served, but His people often are not. That should
      upset both God and us.

      A very Benedictine warning here that the Carmelites would strongly
      approve: prayer is only to be prolonged by "inspiration of divine
      grace." When God does let us feel something wonderful in prayer, a
      very understandable temptation is to hang onto the feeling, to
      prolong it, to produce it again.

      Doesn't work, folks, and it could very well turn into a trap. When
      God prolongs prayer or gives us graces, fine! Relax, swim in His
      grace and enjoy it, but never, ever try to fill the pool for a quick
      dip on your own. That's not the way prayer- or God- works.

      Love and prayers,
      Jerome,OSB

      Message 144 of 144 , Jan 16

        But if anyone should presume to do so,