Holy Rule for Feb. 22

    Message 1 of 144 , Feb 21, 2013
      +PAX

      Prayers,please for the eternal rest of Fr. Evarist Mushi, murdered in Zanzibar, and for his family and all who mourn him and for his attackers and their conversion.

      Prayers for the spiritual and physical welfare of the folowing, for all their loved ones and all who take care of them:

      Clinton, 83, facing major surgery and for his wife, facing decisions about his care.

      Angela, terminal cancer in lungs and brain, for her happy death and for her husband, Ray.

      Update: Both Alli and Olivia who suffered from RSV (respiratory syncytial virus) are now home in continued recovery. Continued prayers.Thanks given for our prayers.

      Kristen, recovering from knee surgery and will be undergoing physical theory for the next few weeks.
      Kathy, back surgery, has appointments for a Radiation Consultation on February 19th (was not good) and Hematology Malignancy on March 1. Doctors are doing tests to determine if she needs just radiation or combo of radiation and chemo.

      Sheldon, an elderly gentleman has emphysema and his lungs are shutting down.

      Micky, an elderly gentleman ,cancer has returned and he will likely go home to be with his Lord and Savior soon.

      Cindy asks prayers for her mother who is dying.

      For 6 year old Harlie, who has Astrocytoma, a type of brain tumor. First surgery over a year ago got only 20% and it is now growing again. chemotherapy again in an effort to stop it from growing until she can seek other treatments. The most viable option is to attempt specialized Proton Radiation Therapy which is very expensive, parents not sure how much insurance will pay.

      For all those being affected by the current round of storms.

      For all the Cardinals who will take part in the upcoming Conclave and for Pope Benedict XVI as he prepares to step down.

      Lord, help us all as You know and
      Him! Thanks so much. JL

      At Terce, Sext and None on Monday
      let the nine remaining sections of Psalm 118 be said,
      three at each of these Hours.

      Psalm 118 having been completed, therefore,
      on two days, Sunday and Monday,
      let the nine Psalms from Psalm 119 to Psalm 127
      be said at Terce, Sext and None,
      three at each Hour,
      beginning with Tuesday.
      And let these same Psalms be repeated every day until Sunday
      at the same Hours,
      while the arrangement of hymns, lessons and verses
      is kept the same on all days;
      and thus Prime on Sunday will always begin with Psalm 118.

      REFLECTION

      It is easy to think that St. Benedict included all this repetition- 6
      days worth!- in the Psalms of the minor hours for its own sake, but
      that is not necessarily so. Remember that, in St. Benedict's time,
      the distinction of lay brothers or sisters, who did not say the full
      Office in choir, did not yet exist: everyone said the full Office,
      even while away or working at a distance. I am not sure that was
      the case often, but it could have been at times, like harvest time.

      That provides a very likely possibility for the 6 days- all of them
      working days- of repetition. Try saying the same 9 short Psalms 6 days a
      week for a while and watch how fast they slip into memory. Monks
      could pray the minor hours in the fields or on the road to market
      with farm goods, anywhere.

      That might not be a bad idea for rushed Oblates today. What if one
      chose just one of these short minor hours with Gradual Psalms and
      memorized it, maybe Sext for the lunch hour, or None for the drive
      home, even Terce for the ride to work? I often say parts of the
      Office I have memorized on public transport or while driving: no
      book, no fuss, no worry.

      It is a great freedom to require nothing but one's memory and heart
      to say part of the Office. Not only that, but moments of solitude for prayer
      often surprise us during the day, come when and where we least expect
      them. Memorized prayers let us always be ready for them.

      The Psalms were dear to the early monastics because they were seen as
      a compendium of Scripture. In other words, all the basic elements of
      Scripture were to be found in them, including representatives of the
      most common literary forms: history, poetry, prophecy and
      wisdom/proverbs. No wonder they memorized the entire Psalter, but
      how that feat boggles our minds today.

      Message 144 of 144 , Jan 16

        But if anyone should presume to do so,
        At the same time,