Nov. 6

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 6, 2003

      Prayers, please, for Judy Hermann, angioplasty, and for Wayne
      Francis, who has died. Special prayers for Delaney, 8 mos., who was
      burned over 40% of her trunk in a deep fryer spill accident. Also for
      her Mom, Deena, who was burned trying to rescue her. Little girl is
      in very critical condition. God's will is best. All is mercy and
      grace. Thanks so much! JL

      March 7, July 7, November 6
      Chapter 30: How Boys Are to Be Corrected

      Every age and degree of understanding
      should have its proper measure of discipline.
      With regard to boys and adolescents, therefore,
      or those who cannot understand the seriousness
      of the penalty of excommunication,
      whenever such as these are delinquent
      let them be subjected to severe fasts
      or brought to terms by harsh beatings,
      that they may be cured.

      REFLECTION

      We are, after all, creatures of our own age, for better or worse.
      Every age has its hotspots and button-pushers, so it should amaze no
      one that many jump immediately on the phrase "harsh beatings." ("Calm
      down now, breathe deeply. Paramedics will be here any minute
      now..Try not to speak...We'll see if e can get that dosage adjusted
      for you so you won't have these dreadful fugues anymore...")

      Don't let our own age's revulsion at corporal punishment (which was
      thought perfectly sane when St. Benedict wrote,) blind you to the
      pearl of great price herein. "Every age and degree of understanding
      should have its proper measure of discipline."

      Probably unintentional(but the Holy Spirit can sneak a lot of His
      stuff into our words,) is the poetic ambiguity of the words "every
      age." That can mean all ages of an individual AND all ages of
      history. Quite evidently, the best minds of our own age no longer
      subscribe to beating sense into someone as a terribly useful method.
      So we affirm that and move on to the good stuff here.

      The good stuff is personalism in the extreme. Every person is
      different at every stage of their lives and every age in which people
      are born produces different people. The stuff that horrified my
      mother's generation often amuses me. I chuckle, or laugh right out
      loud. Most of us can probably say that. We are different from the
      generations before us because everything that formed us was NOT
      identical to the external forces which formed our elders.

      Think of the people you have thought were mean. I'll bet that there
      is a statistically significant trend among them, a tendency to "one
      size fits all" in punishment. Not so, folks, not so. Any who think
      that one size fits all must have their vision deflected to either the
      law itself or their own annoyance, but they certainly couldn't hold
      such a position if they were actually looking at the person before
      them.

      St. Benedict wants us to look at the person, always, not just in
      figuring out a punishment or discipline. Look at the person, LOOK,
      really look at the other. Why? because in the confusing mosaic of all
      those others we shall see Christ, to Whom we must prefer nothing,
      because He is really, truly there.