Holy Rule for Feb. 17

    Message 1 of 143 , Feb 16, 2013

      Prayer for the eternal rest of the following, for all their families and all who mourn them:

      Jeremy, died suddenly of liver failure, and for Nikki, Martha, and Benjamin and all his family.

      Diana, passed on to her Heavenly Father after many special sufferings in this life. She was a devout believer and went to her death with confidence and joy. Deo Gratias!

      Deo gratias, Craig and Elaine have a buyer for their house, continued prayers as the many things with their move to BC fall into place.

      Lord, help us all as You know and will.
      Thanks so much. JL

      February 17, June 18, October 18
      Chapter 14: How the Night Office Is to Be Said on the Feasts of the
      Saints

      On the feasts of Saints and on all festivals
      let the Office be performed
      as we have prescribed for Sundays,
      except that the Psalms, the antiphons and the lessons
      belonging to that particular day are to be said.
      Their number, however, shall remain as we have specified above.

      REFLECTION

      Check out the sickening glut of consumerist advertising that attends
      the approach (even the very remote approach!) of Christmas,
      Valentine's Day, or any other holiday whose traditions include gift-
      giving. Man, the sharks move in for the kill! We can firmly trust the
      secular world to promote and protect the days they stand to profit
      from.

      In fact, in the US, at least, we can count on the greeting card
      industry to even increase those special days. Long since bored with
      just Mother's Day and Father's Day, now the card industry has now
      gone to Grandparents' Day, Secretaries' WEEK, and who knows what is
      next. (Not that I don't love Secretaries, I do, but let us be frank, the
      greeting card industry had something other than love and gratitude in
      mind...)

      There's a truth in all this annoying materialism: those who profit
      from a thing must make it special themselves. In other words, we must
      use our best efforts to celebrate our own feasts, in our own hearts, for our
      own spiritual gain, since it is highly unlikely that the holiest feasts for us
      (unless one is named Valentine or Patrick!!) are likely to turn up anytime
      soon in the scheme of secular promotion.

      In our monastery, we celebrate feastdays, not birthdays. This took a
      bit of adjusting to, but now my feastday is the one everyone knows about and
      tries
      to make special. WE make feastdays special. We profit from them
      spiritually and it is up to us to ensure their importance.

      Take a hint from this chapter and go out of your way to make your own
      special saint's feast or feast of the Lord come alive for you. For
      years now I have loved Feb 2, the Presentation of the Lord, or
      Candlemas. It has become my favorite feast and I honestly look
      forward to it and revel in it. But I had to do that myself, to
      nurture the associations with the day and so forth. All of us can
      give that gift to ourselves and there's no consumerist madness
      involved! Especially in families, this can give the grace of a holy
      and joyous celebration that is truly ours, not some whim of the
      corporate world or a meaningless secularity.

      St. Mary's Monastery, Petersham, MA

      Message 143 of 143 , Jun 1, 2013
        Prayers, please, for the following, and for all their families and all who take care of them:

        Barbara, dementia worsening, major meltdown on Friday, and for her husband, Jim.

        a member of Jane's family newly diagnosed with cancer.

        Al. His vision is critical to his work. He had cataract surgery and now the lens that was implanted will have to be removed Monday and replaced with a new one. Doc says there is a high risk of a detached retina. Please pray that God will guide the surgeon's hands and for complete healing.

        Denise, that she get her marriage blessed and return to the Sacraments.

        The fourth degree of humility
        and contradictions
        and even any kind of injustice,
        For the Scripture says,