Holy Rule for Feb. 16

    Message 1 of 143 , Feb 15, 2013

      Moyra writes from Belfast, N. Ireland, asking that we pray for peace there as violence has erupted again.

      Prayers for Moyra's Dad, for healing, he has lost seven toes to diabetes, and for her Mum, who cares for him and for Moyra's sister, brother-in-laww and niece, who do so much for them.

      Prayers for the eternal rest of Michael, 47, who died before he could get a lung transplant. We had prayed for him, but he was taken off life support and died. Cystic fibrosis was the lung problem and he could not survive without a transplant.

      Prayers for Roy; fell and broke his hip. Surgery a must. Dr.'s say there is a good chance he will not make it through the operation. Roy has received the Last Rites from his family priest. Include prayers for Dan and Angela, Roy's son and wife; and Roy's wife who is very grieved.

      Prayers for Shannon, who must have yet another eye surgery to remove or repair scar tissue from previous surgeries. The doctor believes that the scar tissue is a factor in a retinal detachment. She has been so good about getting her life in order, please pray that this will not derail her progress.

      continued prayers for Jill and Debbie who are trying to quit smoking.

      Prayers for Beverly, for as positive as possible results for tests.and special intention.

      Prayers for JS, difficult work situation and school situation.

      Deo gratias for past prayers answered

      help us all as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace.

      Chapter 13: How the Morning Office Is to Be Said on Weekdays

      The Morning and Evening Offices
      should never be allowed to pass
      without the Superior saying the Lord's Prayer
      in its place at the end
      so that all may hear it,
      on account of the thorns of scandal which are apt to spring up.
      Thus those who hear it,
      being warned by the covenant which they make in that prayer
      when they say, "Forgive us as we forgive,"
      may cleanse themselves of faults against that covenant.

      But at the other Offices
      let the last part only of that prayer be said aloud,
      so that all may answer, "But deliver us from evil."

      If one just counts the times we say the Our Father aloud, at Mass,
      Lauds and Vespers, it's three times a day. Actually, given the silent
      repetitions at minor Hours, Compline and grace at table, the number
      jumps considerably. Added up, that can be pretty damning evidence at
      the Judgement seat if we don't mean what we are saying!

      Do we forgive? Do we really want His Kingdom to come? Or His Will to
      be done? Probably, in many cases, yes and no... The work of our
      monastic lives is to make that equation all "yes"! We argue with God
      over His Will, we seek to change His mind, as if we really could! As
      for forgiveness and His Kingdom, well, you can't have one without the
      other! The very equality of all in God's love that will obtain in the
      Kingdom already chafes us when we stop to think of someone we
      mightily WISH He did not love quite that much!

      As Dorothy Day's friend, Fr. Hugo, used to say: "You love God as
      much as the one you love the least." That remark shames me every
      single time I think of it. It is a great barometer of just how far
      one has to go, of how much God really matters to one. So far, I have
      never had a shortage of people I loved little enough to be quite
      embarrassed. But I am working on it, and that is all any of us can do.

      This perfection called for in the Lord's Prayer is a task we will
      never complete. There will always be more to do, our ducks will never
      be in a row, we will never and can never be utterly perfect. That's
      why we need a Savior, that's what He did. That's how ALL the "i's"
      got dotted and "t's" got crossed (literally!)

      Jesus does call us to be perfect as our heavenly Father is perfect, but He
      also knows that job will never be finished. He wants us to keep trying, but
      He certainly knows that no one could do that exactly without becoming God.
      Let us be frank in holding out no hope of anyone ever doing that!
      Still, that is the standard He set for us. we must aim for that goal and strive
      for it. Jesus Himself asked us to do that.

      Message 143 of 143 , Jun 1, 2013
        Prayers, please, for the following, and for all their families and all who take care of them:

        Barbara, dementia worsening, major meltdown on Friday, and for her husband, Jim.

        a member of Jane's family newly diagnosed with cancer.

        Al. His vision is critical to his work. He had cataract surgery and now the lens that was implanted will have to be removed Monday and replaced with a new one. Doc says there is a high risk of a detached retina. Please pray that God will guide the surgeon's hands and for complete healing.

        Denise, that she get her marriage blessed and return to the Sacraments.

        The fourth degree of humility
        and contradictions
        and even any kind of injustice,
        For the Scripture says,