Holy Rule for Feb. 12

    Message 1 of 144 , Feb 11, 2013
      +PAX

      Prayers for the men at the Veterans Victory Farm who helped to dig out two neighbors from Saturday's blizzard. May God bless them.

      Deo gratias for 27 years of sobriety for C. And many more!!!

      Lord, help us all as You know and will. God's will is best. All
      is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL

      Chapter 10: How the Night Office Is to Be Said in Summer Time

      From Easter until the Calends of November
      let the same number of Psalms be kept as prescribed above;
      but no lessons are to be read from the book,
      on account of the shortness of the nights.
      Instead of those three lessons
      let one lesson from the Old Testament be said by heart
      and followed by a short responsory.
      But all the rest should be done as has been said;
      that is to say that never fewer than twelve Psalms
      should be said at the Night Office,
      not counting Psalm 3 and Psalm 94.

      REFLECTION

      Put another spin on this and you will find, especially if you are an
      Oblate, that St. Benedict intends at least some aspects of his
      monastic program to adapt themselves to the environment in which the
      monastic lives. Do no wear yourself out trying to make the very
      square peg of a relentless monastic life fit into the intractably
      round hole of a life in the world. Don't try to make your kids (or
      spouse!) understand that you are going to be monastic, no matter what
      they are or aren't. For one thing, if you in any way diminish your
      primary vocation, like marriage or parenthood, you are not going to
      be monastic at all! The key to our struggle is obedience and
      humility, not control of others.

      There is a tremendous (and very beneficial!) humility in truthfully admitting
      that an Oblate's life often doesn't allow saying the whole Office. I have no
      doubt at all that, in some cases, there is vastly more merit in that humbling
      truth than there would be in psalmody without end. In fact, if our primary
      vocation, like marriage or parenthood demands otherwise, I can easily see
      where it could sometimes be quite wrong, indeed, to try to say the whole
      Office. St. Benedict foresaw just such situations in chapters like this one,
      where the inescapable changes in season moderated things.

      In an Oblate's life, there are many things other than merely seasonal which
      may often be every bit as compelling.

      Message 144 of 144 , Jan 16

        But if anyone should presume to do so,
        At the same time,