Holy Rule for Feb. 8

    Message 1 of 144 , Feb 7, 2013
      +PAX

      Prayers, please, for the eternal rest of the following and for all their families and all who mourn them:

      Mildred, celebrated her 105th birthday just last week in good spirits and passed on just a few days ago. Deo gratias for a life well lived and a happy death.
      Joe, who tragically took his own life due to a family history of depression. For his eternal soul and for the entire family which is devastated by his loss.

      Prayers for the spiritual and physical health of the following, for all their loved ones and all who take care of them:

      Martin, recovering from knee replacement, healing but still in pain and some swelling in his calf area.

      Diana, losing her fight with stage four cancer and being moved to hospice care. For her continued courage and confidence in Him as she sees her journey to the end.

      Prayers, please, for the spiritual well-being and conversion of Judi and Peter,
      both of whom abandoned the Christian faith for another. May God lead them firmly
      back.

      Lord, help us all as You
      know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent,
      praise Him! Thanks so much. JL

      Chapter 7: On Humility cont.
      February 8, June 9, October 9

      The eleventh degree of humility is that when a monk speaks he do so gently
      and without laughter, humbly and seriously, in few and sensible words, and
      that he be not noisy in his speech. It is written, "A wise man is known by
      the fewness of his words."

      REFLECTION

      I read this one and cringe, largely because I fail it so much. Part of my
      loudness is being 40% deaf, and while I try to control my levels of speech, I
      sometimes forget. That, however, in NO way absolves me from the wise man and
      fewness of words part, nor does it cover the sins of my tendency to make a
      big splash nearly every time I'm entering the pool. Face it, beloveds, for those
      at poolside dining on dry snacks like potato chips, those big splashes can get
      very old, very fast!

      I'm speaking of my own failure here, but I imagine some of it may apply to
      others' lives, too. So many wasted words, and at such volume! What is their
      purpose, what insecurities do they cover? How many times do I speak as if on
      stage and why? To show that I am cool or a big shot or clever or funny? All
      those things are ultimately lies and the person I may be trying most to
      convince is my pathetically false self.

      How many times do I call it teasing when another is really hurt? How many
      times do I go over the top and not even notice, because my focus is really on
      myself? Even if I am only futilely trying to overcome my own boredom by
      creating some excitement, the message reads frighteningly clear: I am more
      important, I am a big deal, I matter more than the people or silence that make
      me
      uncomfortable. None of that is true in the sense I am modeling it. None. So why
      do I bother? Why do any of us? These are tough and excellent questions!

      The twofold key is charity and balance. There have been times when I have
      seen a person- even been a person- who monopolized a recreation. There have been
      other times when I have longed for someone to do so. It requires that
      mindfulness born of love and balance to truthfully ascertain whether a situation
      would
      profit more from our silence or our speaking.

      But the key here is "profit more" and the recipients in mind must be others, not
      just ourselves. Buffoonery can certainly annoy, but silence can also sometimes
      hurt: this person doesn't care about me at all, it's like I didn't even exist.
      Somewhere
      between the extremes lies love, folks, and that is our precarious goal.

      Message 144 of 144 , Jan 16

        But if anyone should presume to do so,
        At the same time,
        and in observance of the Rule,