Holy Rule for Feb. 6

    Message 1 of 143 , Feb 5, 2013

      Prayers for the eternal rtest of Rita, and for all her family and all who mourn her.

      Prayers for Pat's husband Herb, going for a cancer check up tomorrow that the results are good. Herb has battled many battles and just got out of the hospital. Prayers for their safe travels asthere is a lot of snow and their trip is over an hour away. Prayers for Pat and her sister Cathie. Cathie was diagnosed with terminal cancer a few months ago so Pat has a lot on her plate and needs prayers also.

      Prayers please for Frank with a neurological problem on the right side of his face, very painful.

      Pryares for Lydia, 50's, recovering from the effects of a stroke and tumor removal.

      Continued prayers for Mrs Cicone. She recently had breast surgery for a return of cancer and was recuperating at home when she fell and fractured her pelvis. Now back in ICU in much pain. Her daughter, LInda, who was just starting to think about returning home, now will have to stay for an indefinite amount of time to care for both her parents who are dealing with seroius health issues. Prayers please for all their family.

      Lord, help us all as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thasnks so much.

      The ninth degree of humility
      not speaking until he is questioned.
      For the Scripture shows

      Well, you can safely bet that I fail this one right and left.

      Obedience is essential to humility, but as we climb the steps, other
      virtues that figure in humility are presented to us. Why is silence
      important? Because when someone like me is shooting his mouth off all
      the time, whether being really funny, or just thinking he is, offering the
      world choice observations of his "exquisite" wisdom, what's really
      going on is a desire to be at the center of things, to be star and
      protagonist. Lights, camera, action! Why?

      If I am bored- and I often am- I make a joke, create my own
      excitement, change the human situation I have walked into to suit MY
      needs. Maybe others weren't bored at all, even if they politely laugh
      and seem to enjoy it. That trait doesn't say much for my depth.

      I need to be entertained? Hello!?!? Can't I find enough material in
      silence to keep me busy? What's really going on here? Short attention
      span much? I can get so absorbed in elevating humor and speech as
      positive, necessary goods that I can easily forget that both can be
      tools of control, and control is not for the humble.

      Naming that does not mean I do not have to work at change. I do. I
      think it was Flannery O'Connor who said that accepting ourselves does
      not preclude an effort to be better. Change may be so gradual that
      none will ever notice, but every time I resist any useless temptation
      to open my mouth, there is a small victory.

      Face it, we think a lot of what we have to say is important because we
      think WE are important, or funny or clever. We truly have divinely created
      dignity, but that is not usually what is employed in making these decisions
      to speak!

      Silence is not incompatible with charity or cheerfulness. Brother
      David Gormican, OSB, of St. Leo, now gone to God, was a paragon of
      this step (actually, of all of them!) Brother would speak first if he
      needed something, but otherwise, he waited until he was spoken to or
      asked something. No surprise that he usually looked very recollected:
      he was!

      When he was called on to speak, it was always cheerfully and
      with something I can only describe as sweetness. I don't mean he was
      sugary, I mean sweetness in the best possible sense. When Brother
      David DID speak, one would never think that silence was unloving; all
      his compassion and love just shone right through.

      Brother David was truly a saint. No doubt, had he wished to run off
      at the mouth as I do, he could have given you all much better and
      deeper wisdom and holiness than me. But part of his holiness was
      silence and his humility allowed people far less bright (like me,) to
      talk all they wanted, unchallenged.

      On the rare occasion when he wouldn't leave something unchallenged,
      the weight of a well-chosen phrase or two of his would offset pages of prose!
      Part of the reason his words bore such weight is that he was so usually
      silent that people LISTENED when he spoke. Sadly, that is not true for many of
      us.

      Message 143 of 143 , Jun 1 4:42 PM
        Prayers, please, for the following, and for all their families and all who take care of them:

        Barbara, dementia worsening, major meltdown on Friday, and for her husband, Jim.

        a member of Jane's family newly diagnosed with cancer.

        Al. His vision is critical to his work. He had cataract surgery and now the lens that was implanted will have to be removed Monday and replaced with a new one. Doc says there is a high risk of a detached retina. Please pray that God will guide the surgeon's hands and for complete healing.

        Denise, that she get her marriage blessed and return to the Sacraments.

        The fourth degree of humility
        and contradictions
        and even any kind of injustice,
        For the Scripture says,