Holy Rule for Feb. 5

    Message 1 of 143 , Feb 4 2:18 PM

      Prayers, please, for the eternal est of the folowing, for all their families and all who mourn them:

      Bishop John D'Arcy, of Ft.Wayne-South Bend, Indiana,who died on the 56th anniversary of his first Mass as a priest.

      Joanne,and especialy for her son Richard and all her family.

      Prayers for the spiritual and physical welfare of the following,for all their loved ones and all who take care of them:

      Paul, heart attack and in ICCU, has had angiopplasty for a blocked artery.

      Brian, still reeling in grief for the loss of his brother, then his car was totalled and now his cat had to be put to sleep, all the loss is weighing heavily on him.

      The eighth degree of humility
      is that a monk do nothing except what is commended
      by the common Rule of the monastery
      and the example of the elders.

      REFLECTION

      [How many of you can tell I used to be a radio DJ by reading this? And I loved
      it!]

      I am a much bigger fan of early Sinatra than I am of his later
      career. One of the hits of his closing years, which was also recorded
      by Elvis, was "My Way." It quickly became the defining anthem for
      many in the rather egocentric late 20th century.

      Couple these two guys with a third, Tony Bennett, in an imaginary trio
      for another hit, "I've Gotta Be Me" and you have the secular rationale
      of the self in a nutshell. I really love Tony Bennett, and I used to own a
      copy of his recording of "I've Gotta Be Me", but now I rather wish he'd
      passed up on that one.

      Both songs take the healthy notion of self and elevate it to a level
      of distortion and falsity. They erroneously elevate
      a part of truth to being the whole truth and that spells trouble. Our
      selves are wonderful, unique, precious gifts, so are children. Leave
      either unbridled and malformed and you will regret it.

      Humility forms rightly because it is truth. Like the Gospel itself,
      humility is the exact reverse of many a worldly tune. The real,
      objective truth lies in the paradox, in the tension of yes AND no to
      many things which the world would accept unquestioningly as "YES!"

      So, here comes the 8th degree. It's message is that it is most safe
      to assume that doing it one's own way is neither right nor terribly
      bright. We may find that sometimes we are right, but even there, so
      long as the action is morally neutral, the wise course is subjection
      to the common mind. Benedictines swim in schools, it's our nature to
      do so.

      In fact, even doing it some other monastery's tested, tried and true way
      makes no sense. God calls us to the house and the observance that
      will best suit us. If we have made a mistake in hearing Him, He will
      somehow gets us to transfer (unless we STILL can't hear Him!)
      Otherwise, let things alone.

      We come to a distinct monastery and congregation, to the Rule, to be
      taught, not to teach them. We come to be directed, not to direct, to
      be formed, not to form. If we allow all those things to happen to us
      in humility we quite likely WILL be elements of change for the better
      in the community's history, but that change will be one planned by
      God, not ourselves.

      Message 143 of 143 , Jun 1, 2013
        Prayers, please, for the following, and for all their families and all who take care of them:

        Barbara, dementia worsening, major meltdown on Friday, and for her husband, Jim.

        a member of Jane's family newly diagnosed with cancer.

        Al. His vision is critical to his work. He had cataract surgery and now the lens that was implanted will have to be removed Monday and replaced with a new one. Doc says there is a high risk of a detached retina. Please pray that God will guide the surgeon's hands and for complete healing.

        Denise, that she get her marriage blessed and return to the Sacraments.

        The fourth degree of humility
        and contradictions
        and even any kind of injustice,
        For the Scripture says,