Holy Rule for Feb. 4

    Message 1 of 143 , Feb 3, 2013

      Prayers, please, for the spiritual and physical welfare of the follwoing, for all their loved ones and all who take care of them:

      Fr. Frank Philips, founder of the Canons Regular of St. John Cantius, in the hospital and serious problems after knee surgery.

      John, dengue fever.

      Marian, for whom we prayed, turns out to have had a stroke. Prognosis is good for recovery, but she has a ways to go, continued prayers, please.

      The seventh degree of humility
      is that he consider himself lower and of less account
      than anyone else,
      and this not only in verbal protestation
      but also with the most heartfelt inner conviction,
      humbling himself and saying with the Prophet,
      "But I am a worm and no man,
      the scorn of men and the outcast of the people" (Ps. 21:7).
      "After being exalted, I have been humbled
      and covered with confusion" (Ps. 87:16).
      And again,
      "It is good for me that You have humbled me,
      that I may learn Your commandments" (Ps. 118:71).

      REFLECTION

      No one need worry whether or not the blue jay population of our
      forest will make it through the winter! The blue jays bully and terrorize
      all the other birds- including members of their own species lower in
      the pecking order. And it is LITERALLY a pecking order! While they
      are pretty birds, once in action their belligerent personalities will dispel
      many a
      romantic notion!

      Contrast the cardinals and chickadees, both far lovelier to look at,
      and both well aware that they need to stay out of the jays' way! One
      imagines that the cardinals, strikingly red, might be as numerous as
      their blue cousins if they were anywhere near as combative. Below
      even these in the hierarchy are the slate juncos. None too eye-
      catching, a rather sooty gray, and spending almost all of their time
      gleaning on the ground, not at the feeder. It is a niche they seem
      not to mind at all, in fact, it is a survival technique. Their attraction is
      not in plumage, but in the humility of their dispositions.

      Of course, I watch all this from the dining room window and am amused.
      These scrappy jays are fighting over a front yard that they don't
      own. They are battling for food that is always there and will be
      there in plenty. And hey, they are BIRDS, right? What's all this
      business about who's-better-than-who? It's like watching a lot of
      Lilliputians in hand-to-hand, mortal combat. It's so silly that it is
      laughable. This is my front yard, guys, not yours!

      Whoops! Just fell into the same stupid snare as the birds....
      The yard is God's. All things are God's; birds, you, me, the whole
      universe!

      The Israeli astronaut, Ila Ramon, who died on the space shuttle Columbia,
      said something beautiful about the view from space. He saw that from
      there, the earth was just one beautiful blue ball, no boundaries, no borders,
      all one. Surely that is a glimpse of how God sees it.

      Therein lies the secret of humility: to see things as God sees them,
      because that is how things truly are! That means seeing things like
      neither the scrappy blue jay, nor the monk inside who just as foolishly
      thinks something is his to control, that he has a privilege others do not,
      that his hegemony must be protected at any cost!

      Of course, it is all too easy to see things in an nation state way,
      especially these days. One nation hates another or hates their
      agenda. Ah, but that is how it has worked out! How it started was perhaps
      one incident, lost in the mists of time, forgotten except for
      the rivalry it engendered, which took on a life of its own. Perhaps
      the progenitors of two warring nations of today met once at the same
      oasis with their flocks. Maybe one decided it was hers, maybe both
      did. At any rate, the fallout was terrible for centuries.

      Each of us faces a desert oasis with others. How little we reflect
      that our actions there could change history. We will never know until
      heaven how our choices to assert or defer literally change the
      history of the cosmos, however slightly. All things start out small,
      but then they grow! Which outcome do you wish to nourish with your
      life?

      Believe me, what we do with our hearts truly does affect the whole universe.

      brjeromeleo@...

      Message 143 of 143 , Jun 1, 2013
        Prayers, please, for the following, and for all their families and all who take care of them:

        Barbara, dementia worsening, major meltdown on Friday, and for her husband, Jim.

        a member of Jane's family newly diagnosed with cancer.

        Al. His vision is critical to his work. He had cataract surgery and now the lens that was implanted will have to be removed Monday and replaced with a new one. Doc says there is a high risk of a detached retina. Please pray that God will guide the surgeon's hands and for complete healing.

        Denise, that she get her marriage blessed and return to the Sacraments.

        The fourth degree of humility
        and contradictions
        and even any kind of injustice,
        For the Scripture says,