Skip to search.

Holy Rule for Jan. 31

    Message 1 of 144 , Jan 30, 2013
      +PAX

      Prayers for Peter, undergoing emergency dialysis and has been removed from the kidney transplant list because of congestive heart failure. Also, continued prayers for Michael, he has moved up to number 1 on the lung transplant list but so far there have been no lungs available. He became a Catholic on January 20th while in the ICU where he remains pending a transplant.

      Prayers for Sarah, battling alcoholism.

      Prayers for Craig and Elaine, showing their house and hoping it sells.

      Prayers, please, for all Salesian men and women on this feast of their founder,
      St. John Bosco.
      him.

      Prayers, please, for Mary Rose, on her 52nd birthday. Graces and blessings and
      many more! Ad multos annos!

      January 31, June 1, October 1
      Chapter 7: On Humility

      The third degree of humility is that a person
      for love of God
      submit himself to his Superior in all obedience,
      imitating the Lord, of whom the Apostle says,
      "He became obedient even unto death."

      REFLECTION

      Merton once wrote "Love is the Rule." That's what we can so often
      miss. One obeys out of love, love of God.

      Trust my limited experience here, please, if we are acting on solely
      human considerations, there is no human being on earth whose tool kit
      is so complete that one can joyously follow and obey them without any
      reserve or hesitation, not one. But we aren't doing it for human reasons:
      we are obeying for God.

      We do it for love, not for wisdom. We do it for love, not for taste
      or class or savoir faire. We do it for love, not because the superior
      is brilliant or right or gifted in any way. We don't do it because of
      the superior at all, if we are going about things the right way. We
      do it for love, for love of God.

      Anything less than love of God as a motive will fall flat on its
      face, and sooner rather than later! It never takes long. Life itself,
      within the cloister or without, is full of so much purblind stupidity
      and outright rubbish that nothing could sustain one other than love
      of God.

      Mother or Father might quite pointedly know little or nothing at all. The will
      of God sometimes comes through to us in spite of them, not because they
      are wise or stupid, right or wrong, but because of love, God's love for us.
      Many people in authority advance the will of God for reasons that have little
      or nothing to do with God!

      They may do it unwittingly, they may do it cruelly or wrong-headedly, but
      that hardly matters: the will of God comes through. I think there is a
      mystical point where the love and will of God for one cannot ultimately be
      thwarted, where it is actually advanced by humans who have not a clue what they
      are
      doing. Even some actively opposed to His will nevertheless advance it without a
      clue. God can use anything, even His opponents, to do good for those who
      love Him, who trust Him and let Him act in their souls.

      We do it for love, and that love will shield us, regardless, in the
      armor of His will. We must only trust Him, trust His Divine Mercy,
      always trust!

      Message 144 of 144 , Jan 16

        But if anyone should presume to do so,
        At the same time,