Holy Rule for Jan. 30

    Message 1 of 144 , Jan 29, 2013
      +PAX

      Prayers, please, for the eternal rest of the following, for all their families and all who mourn them:

      Winne, who died peacefully after being removed from life support.

      Margie, who died in a fire that destroyed their home, and for her husband and daughter, Tom and Marisa, having a very hard time with their grief.

      Alan, and for his family, Donna, AJ and Amanda.

      Prayers for the spiritual and physical health of the fommowing, for all their loved nes and all who take care of them:

      Marian, severe inner ear affliction, vertigo and other symptoms, in the hospital, MRI pending.

      Victor, growth on his esophagus, hoping it is benign.

      Petronilla, ALS/Lou Gehrig's disease, progressing badly.

      Kathy, progressive MS, now in a wheelchair

      Frank, melanoma behind his left eye, eye had to be removed, but they have found spots on his liver and kidneys, too. For God's will and peace and trust for Frank.

      Prayer request update: Prayers of thanksgiving on behalf of Father Ian for successful colon cancer surgery, and continuing blessings for follow-up chemotherapy.
      Deo gratias for Ralph who was job hunting, has been hired and will start work on Feb. 4, with top pay and benefits.

      Stephen, currently helping his wife overcome a violent atack of norovirus. Please pray for her, Stacy, and Stephen himself. Because of a very fragile immune system, he is very susceptible to diseases of all sorts. If he catches this virus, it could be fatal.

      Deo gratias, Anne's wound has finally closed up so no dressing today! It has been nearly two years since her life saving operation.

      Fr. Paul, having bypass surgery this week and for his family.

      The second degree of humility
      is that a person love not his own will
      nor take pleasure in satisfying his desires,
      but model his actions on the saying of the Lord,
      "I have come not to do My own will,
      but the will of Him who sent Me" (John 6:38).
      It is written also,
      "Self-will has its punishment,
      but constraint wins a crown."

      REFLECTION

      OK, who doesn't love their own will, or take pleasure in satisfying
      their desires? Who doesn't love the dearest things they own and
      treasure? For a healthy person, all of these are very normal loves.
      For some of us, one or another of these loves can be very much part of
      our vocation. The key is to keep them ordered, in line and yes, balanced!

      The means to this step is neither to go overboard hunting for things
      we hate to afflict ourselves with nor to insist on our own way at all
      costs. The real meaning here is found in the statement that Christ
      came not to do His own will, but the will of His Father, even in Gethsemane,
      even on the Cross.

      Alas, in us, that human will often DOES win: why else would we be
      struggling along the monastic way all our lives? Unlike Jesus, we are
      not sinless, we are able to sin and often do so all too gladly! We
      must daily- even minute to minute- turn from the bad in our own
      wills. It is an ongoing fight, but that is what conversatio morum means,
      the commitment to live monastically, to reform our lives monastically.
      As Benedictines we will- indeed, must- always be straining
      against the negative goad, always be seeking the place of greater
      light and good.

      The will of God is frequently very hard to see. For some of us, at
      some times, it seems downright impossible to see. There will always be
      times when we must trundle along blindly, without our senses to
      reassure us. That is why trust is such an integral part of our
      monastic struggle. At those times, the only way haltingly forward is
      to embrace the blinding darkness before us and firmly, trustingly
      clutch the merciful hand of Christ. Jesus, I trust in You!

      Message 144 of 144 , Jan 16

        But if anyone should presume to do so,
        At the same time,
        and in observance of the Rule,