Holy Rule for Jan. 20

    Message 1 of 144 , Jan 19, 2013
      +PAX

      Continued prayers for Craig and Elaine and their job hunt in British Columbia.

      To fear the Day of Judgment.
      To be in dread of hell.
      To desire eternal life with all the passion of the spirit.
      To keep death daily before one's eyes.
      To keep constant guard over the actions of one's life.
      To know for certain that God sees one everywhere.
      When evil thoughts come into one's heart, to dash them against Christ
      immediately.
      And to manifest them to one's spiritual mother.
      To guard one's tongue against evil and depraved speech.
      Not to love much talking.
      Not to speak useless words or words that move to laughter.
      Not to love much or boisterous laughter.
      To listen willingly to holy reading.
      To devote oneself frequently to prayer.
      Daily in one's prayers, with tears and sighs, to confess one's past
      sins to God, and to amend them for the future.
      Not to fulfil the desires of the flesh; to hate one's own will.
      To obey in all things the commands of the Abbess, even though she
      herself (which God forbid) should act otherwise, mindful of the
      Lord's precept, "Do what they say, but not what they do."
      Not to wish to be called holy before one is holy; but first to be
      holy, that one may be truly so called.

      REFLECTION

      The first four on today's list are not very palatable to many modern
      ears, but, like all of the Instruments of Good Works, they are
      important, they are interrelated and each one helps one fulfill the
      others. Arguably, one could say that the focus of the first four is
      the fifth: "To keep constant guard over the actions of one's life."

      We seem to have largely "gotten over" dreading Judgment. We went from a
      paralyzing, Jansenistic, scrupulous fear of it right into a smug
      assurance that everyone passes the test with honors. Well, there's got to
      be truth hidden between those two false extremes somewhere!

      I know, beyond any doubt that I shall be both delighted and very,
      very embarrassed and ashamed to meet God face to face, to find that
      my faith has been confirmed. Ah, joy at the confirmation, but oh,
      crushing shame at the simultaneous confirmation of how very far short
      of Him I have fallen, through choice, through laziness, through
      negligence, through sin.

      One can dread that realization without thinking that God is some
      intrinsically mean sort, just waiting for one to trip up, hunting for the
      slightest loophole to nail us. Quite the opposite is the truth! God's awesome
      Divine Mercy seeks every possible way to bring us to Himself and
      His rewards of bliss. Every possible way!!

      Let us admit that we have been all too good at tripping
      on our own: God has no need to duplicate services there! Fearing
      judgment is part and parcel of knowing who we are. We have all
      sinned. And I know I have failed faith, hope and love, again and again
      and again, usually with no more excuse than selfishness.

      We keep goals in sight while training. Forget the Olympic gold and
      you will quite likely forget why you are training so hard. For us,
      between now and the "Olympics" of death, it is only the training that
      matters. It is also good to recall that, as Benedictines, our goal is
      NOT simply to "pass", but to stand on the podium.

      That's not because we are any better, it is only because
      we ourselves have added great holiness to our goal. Why else embrace
      the Rule? Keeping "death daily before our eyes," we are ALWAYS at
      the Olympics, thanks to our vow of conversion of manner of life, we
      are daily in training, every minute, in fact.

      All of these four lead to the fifth, keeping guard over one's
      actions, or mindfulness. Here is a great connection between the
      Benedictine way and the Buddhist way.

      The Buddhists have a saying that monastics can preach a sermon just
      by the way they walk. That's what the care of mindfulness can do!
      Just wait till we get to the 12th degree of humility, which says that
      the monastics' humility will shine through their outward appearance,
      whether walking or sitting or working or praying.

      Message 144 of 144 , Jan 16

        But if anyone should presume to do so,
        At the same time,
        and in observance of the Rule,