Holy Rule for Jan. 18

    Message 1 of 143 , Jan 17, 2013

      Prayers for Sacred Heart Parish Confirmation class, on retreat this weekend, may alll the graces they need flow freely.

      Update on Elaine:(Not the Elaine we have been praying for about BC move,) She had very extensive surgery for cancer on Dec. 12, and has been recovering much faster than they had expected, since she has other serious health problems. She wishes to thank all for their prayers, which she feels helped tremendously.

      Prayers for Dot, in her 80's, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and slowing down.

      Elaine we have been praying about loves BC so far, having a good visit. Prayers for her and Craig and whatever God wills.

      In the first place, to love the Lord God with the whole heart, the
      whole soul, the whole strength.
      Then, one's neighbor as oneself.
      Then not to murder.
      Not to commit adultery.
      Not to steal.
      Not to covet.
      Not to bear false witness.
      To honor all (1 Peter 2:17).
      And not to do to another what one would not have done to oneself.
      To deny oneself in order to follow Christ.
      To chastise the body.
      Not to become attached to pleasures.
      To love fasting.
      To relieve the poor.
      To clothe the naked.
      To visit the sick.
      To bury the dead.
      To help in trouble.
      To console the sorrowing.
      To become a stranger to the world's ways.
      To prefer nothing to the love of Christ.

      REFLECTION

      St. Benedict follows Christ's teaching of the two greatest
      commandments, putting them first in his list. He had, however, also
      lived in community, so look what he puts at #3: not to murder!
      In the PBS drama The Best of Friends, Dame Laurentia Maclachlan, OSB,
      Abbess of Stanbrook and friend of George Bernard Shaw, said that the
      miracle was not that so many nuns could live together, but that they'd
      never had a murder.

      In a very real sense, living the first two instruments would render
      the rest of the Holy Rule more or less superfluous commentary. If we
      lived them, no doubt God would reveal the rest to us in time. Ah, but
      there's the rub: in time...

      We can easily forget that the Holy Rule is a time and labor-saving
      device. It was not written for arbitrary control, it was written to
      save us the lengthy process of learning all its wisdom unaided. The Rule not
      only saves us a lot of time and trial and error, it also frees us to
      do good long before our own stumbling efforts could ever have
      produced as much fruit.

      A final note about preferring "nothing to the love of Christ." This
      line is so popular and frequently duplicated that we can become blind
      to it, shrugging and saying: "Oh, yeah...favorite Benedictine
      phrase..." Stop today and look at it, REALLY look at it. People often
      glance and look away because they fail to prefer nothing, but hey,
      that's the human condition! You, me and most of us strugglers are in
      the same boat, so relax and look at what it means carefully.

      If we truly preferred nothing to the love of Christ, we would be
      sinless saints. We would need no other rule! Small wonder that most
      of us read and look away in embarrassment. But ALL of us, every one,
      can chisel at that mountain day by day, resolutely. A day in which
      the seemingly tiniest and most token of obstacles to the love of
      Christ is conquered and removed is a day of great rejoicing in
      heaven!

      As Blessed Teresa of Calcutta observed, "We can do no great things,
      only small things with great love." We HAVE to start small, because,
      for most of us, if it weren't for small, we'd never start at all! Ah,
      but those tiniest things done with love delight the heart of the
      Divine Merciful Christ as none could ever imagine! Go for it!!!

      Message 143 of 143 , Jun 1, 2013
        Prayers, please, for the following, and for all their families and all who take care of them:

        Barbara, dementia worsening, major meltdown on Friday, and for her husband, Jim.

        a member of Jane's family newly diagnosed with cancer.

        Al. His vision is critical to his work. He had cataract surgery and now the lens that was implanted will have to be removed Monday and replaced with a new one. Doc says there is a high risk of a detached retina. Please pray that God will guide the surgeon's hands and for complete healing.

        Denise, that she get her marriage blessed and return to the Sacraments.

        The fourth degree of humility
        and contradictions
        and even any kind of injustice,
        For the Scripture says,