Holy Rule for Jan. 12

    Message 1 of 58 , Jan 11, 2013

      Mrs. Service, for whom we prayed, has died, surrounded by her family. Prayers for her eternal rest and all her family and all who mourn her.

      Prayers for the Catholics Come Home group starting in Joyce's parish, and for similar groups elsewhere.

      Lord, help us
      all as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is

      Let her make no distinction of persons in the monastery.
      Let her not love one more than another,
      unless it be one whom she finds better
      in good works or in obedience.
      Let her not advance one of noble birth
      ahead of one who was formerly a slave,
      unless there be some other reasonable ground for it.
      But if the Abbess for just reason think fit to do so,
      let her advance one of any rank whatever.
      Otherwise let them keep their due places;
      because, whether slaves or free, we are all one in Christ (Gal. 3:28)
      and bear in equal burden of service
      in the army of the same Lord.
      For with God there is no respect of persons (Rom. 2:11).
      Only for one reason are we preferred in His sight:
      if we be found better than others in good works and humility.
      Therefore let the Abbess show equal love to all
      and impose the same discipline on all
      according to their deserts.

      REFLECTION

      Choosing favorites is a terribly risky business for any of us,
      parent, abbot or supervisor. Our own self-image (or lack thereof,)
      can get very tangled in this process. If we choose wrongly, it
      empowers one and strangles the rest, to one degree or another.

      Christopher Marlowe (+1593) wrote a great short poem about love at
      first sight. Ah, the romantic in me LOVED that poem- at first
      sight! I dog-eared the page many years ago, to more easily find it on
      occasions such as this!

      "It lies not in our power to love or hate,
      For will in us is overruled by fate.
      When two are stripped, long ere the course begin,
      We wish that one should lose, the other win;
      And one especially do we affect
      Of two gold ingots, like in each respect:
      The reason no man knows, let it suffice
      What we behold is censured by our eyes.
      Where both deliberate, the love is slight:
      Whoever loved, that loved not at first sight?"
      (from "Hero and Leander")

      Big fan of love at first sight here.
      Had I looked more closely "at first sight" to
      what Marlowe was saying, even he knew that what we see "is censured
      by our eyes," another way of saying that love is blind! Of course,
      Marlowe lived in Elizabethan England. Such loves impervious to
      reason were all the rage.

      That was exactly the type of love for those under us that St.
      Benedict said to avoid. We must consider that ALL our brethren
      and children and associates are gold ingots, all are stripped runners,
      devoid of fashion or rank. We dare not favor one over the others
      on a mere whim.

      St. Benedict lived and wrote over a thousand years before Marlowe,
      but he knew well the human bent to love at first sight, to love
      without reason or rhyme. He quite rightly points out that this is one
      of the many human tendencies we have to conquer. If we don't, it will
      harm us and harm those under our care, including the favored one.

      Favoritism harms the one in charge, too. Since others can see all too
      well what the parent or boss cannot, it diminishes their trust in the
      authority figure. If she can be so glaringly wrong about this, why
      not about something else? Every person is fallible, but a careless
      superior can emphasize her own lack of brilliance by poor choices.
      This doesn't make governing or being governed any easier for anyone.

      Message 58 of 58 , Jan 16, 2013

        Prayers, please, for Kathleen, 92, having esophageal surgery, many problems, badly needs prayers.

        Prayers, please, for Adolfo and his wife, Mary Carmen.

        Prayers for Chris, on his 42nd birthday, graces galore and many more!

        But if anyone should presume to do so,
        At the same time,
        and in observance of the Rule,
        knowing that beyond a doubt
        to God, the most just Judge.

        be of lesser importance,
        It is written,
        "Do everything with counsel,

        we have a Father, not a Fuhrer.

        fancy."

        relationship ceases to become self. None of us are anywheres near the

        not revolve around us as an axis!

        frequently
        have to be dragged, kicking and screaming, into that compliance!

        Petersham