Holy Rule for Jan. 12

    Message 1 of 59 , Jan 11, 2013
      +PAX

      Mrs. Service, for whom we prayed, has died, surrounded by her family. Prayers for her eternal rest and all her family and all who mourn her.

      Prayers for the Catholics Come Home group starting in Joyce's parish, and for similar groups elsewhere.

      Lord, help us
      all as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is

      Let her make no distinction of persons in the monastery.
      Let her not love one more than another,
      unless it be one whom she finds better
      in good works or in obedience.
      Let her not advance one of noble birth
      ahead of one who was formerly a slave,
      unless there be some other reasonable ground for it.
      But if the Abbess for just reason think fit to do so,
      let her advance one of any rank whatever.
      Otherwise let them keep their due places;
      because, whether slaves or free, we are all one in Christ (Gal. 3:28)
      and bear in equal burden of service
      in the army of the same Lord.
      For with God there is no respect of persons (Rom. 2:11).
      Only for one reason are we preferred in His sight:
      if we be found better than others in good works and humility.
      Therefore let the Abbess show equal love to all
      and impose the same discipline on all
      according to their deserts.

      REFLECTION

      Choosing favorites is a terribly risky business for any of us,
      parent, abbot or supervisor. Our own self-image (or lack thereof,)
      can get very tangled in this process. If we choose wrongly, it
      empowers one and strangles the rest, to one degree or another.

      Christopher Marlowe (+1593) wrote a great short poem about love at
      first sight. Ah, the romantic in me LOVED that poem- at first
      sight! I dog-eared the page many years ago, to more easily find it on
      occasions such as this!

      "It lies not in our power to love or hate,
      For will in us is overruled by fate.
      When two are stripped, long ere the course begin,
      We wish that one should lose, the other win;
      And one especially do we affect
      Of two gold ingots, like in each respect:
      The reason no man knows, let it suffice
      What we behold is censured by our eyes.
      Where both deliberate, the love is slight:
      Whoever loved, that loved not at first sight?"
      (from "Hero and Leander")

      Big fan of love at first sight here.
      Had I looked more closely "at first sight" to
      what Marlowe was saying, even he knew that what we see "is censured
      by our eyes," another way of saying that love is blind! Of course,
      Marlowe lived in Elizabethan England. Such loves impervious to
      reason were all the rage.

      That was exactly the type of love for those under us that St.
      Benedict said to avoid. We must consider that ALL our brethren
      and children and associates are gold ingots, all are stripped runners,
      devoid of fashion or rank. We dare not favor one over the others
      on a mere whim.

      St. Benedict lived and wrote over a thousand years before Marlowe,
      but he knew well the human bent to love at first sight, to love
      without reason or rhyme. He quite rightly points out that this is one
      of the many human tendencies we have to conquer. If we don't, it will
      harm us and harm those under our care, including the favored one.

      Favoritism harms the one in charge, too. Since others can see all too
      well what the parent or boss cannot, it diminishes their trust in the
      authority figure. If she can be so glaringly wrong about this, why
      not about something else? Every person is fallible, but a careless
      superior can emphasize her own lack of brilliance by poor choices.
      This doesn't make governing or being governed any easier for anyone.

      Message 59 of 59 , Nov 23, 2016

        +PAX

        Happy and blessed Thanksgiving Day to all in the US who are celebrating today. God be thanked for His many blessings to us all. Prayers for all and especially for the safety of those travelling.

        Prayers for Cas, who has gastrointestinal cancer. Prayers, too, for Bev, his wife, and Gabrielle, their daughter. Bev is a classmate of mine from Tampa Catholic High.

        Prayers for Fr. Benedict Nivakoff, OSB, newly appointed Prior of the Benedictine community at Norcia, Italy, and continued prayers for them as they recover from the catastrophic damage the earthquake did to their monastery and basilica.

        Prayers for Christopher, 13, in hospice care at home with brain cancer and thought to be very close to death. Prayers for his family, too, and for all who will mourn him.

        Prayers for Daniel, had an injection for knee pain, knee reduced to bone on bone and will eventually need a replacement.

        Prayers for the eternal rest of Greg, and for all his family and all who mourn him.

        Prayers for the eternal rest of Stella, 92, a Benedictine Oblate, and prayers for her family and all who mourn her.

        Prayers for B., for her return to the Faith.

        Chapter 45: On Those Who Make Mistakes in the Oratory

        When anyone has made a mistake
        while reciting a Psalm, a responsory,
        an antiphon or a lesson,
        if he does not humble himself there before all
        by making a satisfaction,
        let him undergo a greater punishment
        because he would not correct by humility
        what he did wrong through carelessness.

        But boys for such faults shall be whipped.

        REFLECTION

        Calm down, we don't whip anybody anymore. It has too often been my
        experience that such lines push all the buttons of some readers these
        days and blind them to the rest of the good stuff there. We don't
        whip now, they did 1,500 years ago, everyone else did, too. Let's not
        get so mired in the sensitivities of our own time that we forget how
        terribly recent some of them are.

        As I have mentioned before, in our house we do kneel in the center
        when late for choir, then bow to the superior and go to our
        place. We also kneel when we make audible mistakes in Church. And
        yes, those things, as I pointed out, can be very useful.

        But most Oblates do not have a choir to kneel in, so
        what's here for the majority of us? There is the grace of humility,
        without which communal life on any level, in monastery, workplace, market or
        home would be unlivable.

        Every single human community or whatever sort is going to have its
        share of kinks, strays and crosses. Every one without fail
        will mirror in some sense the fallen brokenness of humanity. The
        gamut of human flaws exists in microcosm, in at least some mitigated form,
        in every human group.

        Even more annoyingly, most, if not all, pieces of our OWN broken
        humanity will be modeled, much to our distaste, by others around us. It is,
        alas, our own sins and faults in others that tend to annoy us most. Never
        forget to check for that. He or she may REALLY tick you off because
        of the great similarities between you!

        Our job is to see to it that we are part of the solution, not part
        of the problem. When, through whatever means, we become part of the problem,
        we must own up to it at once and smooth it over as best and as
        quickly as we can.

        If you can't say "I'm sorry," for heaven's sake- quite literally- start
        practicing alone in front of a mirror until the words can somehow
        tumble out in public. Until they can, try some useful (though not
        perfect,) substitutes, like "Excuse me," or "It was my fault." Work
        on words of forgiveness, too, like: "It doesn't matter," or "Oh,
        that's OK,".

        Strive to make light of things. There will never be any
        shortage whatever of people who will explode and magnify things out
        of all rational proportion, so don't duplicate services! Join the
        minority and try to prevent hurricanes in teacups, rather than
        produce them.

        Most outrage, most lack of apology, most tempests in teacups stem
        from a distorted an unhealthy view of the self. Humility corrects
        that imbalance. While you're in front of the mirror practicing
        apology, why not try a bit of self-interview?

        WHY do these things or persons upset you so? What do you have in
        common with those who annoy you most? Most important, just who the
        heck ARE you that your perceived slights are such a big deal? Try
        reminding yourself that He is God and you are not. Honest reflection on these
        points may be a big and promising start.