Holy Rule for Jan. 10

    Message 1 of 58 , Jan 9, 2013

      Prayers, please, for P., his marriage has ended against his will and he needs to sell his house and get back on track spiritually.

      Let the Abbess always bear in mind
      that at the dread Judgment of God
      there will be an examination of these two matters:
      her teaching and the obedience of her disciples.
      And let the Abbess be sure
      that any lack of profit
      the master of the house may find in the sheep
      will be laid to the blame of the shepherd.

      On the other hand,
      if the shepherd has bestowed all her pastoral diligence
      on a restless, unruly flock
      and tried every remedy for their unhealthy behavior,
      then she will be acquitted at the Lord's Judgment
      and may say to the Lord with the Prophet:
      "I have not concealed Your justice within my heart;
      Your truth and Your salvation I have declared" (Ps. 39:11).
      "But they have despised and rejected me" (Is. 1:2; Ezech. 20:27).
      And then finally let death itself, irresistible,
      punish those disobedient sheep under her charge.

      REFLECTION

      Be of good cheer, all abbots and parents! St. Benedict wrote this
      over a thousand years before the dawn of psychiatry. He was very holy
      and very wise, but he was a creation of his own times. I think it is
      safe to say that, in St. Benedict's time and for many centuries
      afterward, there was a tendency to look at most behavior as choice,
      not compulsion. Things were somewhat more black and white. Under a
      system such as that given in the first half of this reading, many, if
      not most parents of today would lose without a doubt.

      I needed exactly the parents I got, so did my Dad, so did my Mom, so
      did their parents. That's just another way of saying that we are all
      victims of victims,a concept of which St. Benedict probably would
      never have dreamed. But in some way each of us is a victim of
      something, as are our parents and so on.

      Consider the marvel of God's tailoring one abbess to 50 nuns; quite a
      deal, isn't it? Now consider this. For each of us to get our perfect
      victims of victims, here's a PARTIAL picture of God's fine tuning.
      Obviously, the whole chain has to fit or it comes out wrong. We each
      have 8,388,608 21st great-grandparents, with a total of parents and
      grandparents in those 24 generations of 16,777,214.

      That total is comfortably more than the combined populations of the
      cities of New York, Boston, Chicago, Tampa, Washington, DC, and the
      entire State of Missouri. And, for a person alive today, that would
      probably only get you back to about the year 1000 AD. Begin to get
      the picture of how God has thought of us (and them!) from all
      eternity? There's a lot more than 50 nuns going on here, in fact,
      there was a different and equal set of forbears for each of those 50
      nuns AND their abbess.

      By the way, St. Benedict had a lot of help from the Holy Spirit.
      Hence, although he wrote the second part of today's reading, about
      the acquittal of the abbess who's done her best, without the benefit
      of modern psychology, it nevertheless fits right in to our current
      awareness. No one can give what they don't have (or, if they do, it's
      only the working of grace that makes that possible.) I can't teach
      you Hebrew, I don't know it. But, if I was suddenly presented with
      the fact that I'd HAVE to teach Hebrew, I'd buy a beginning text and
      we'd stumble through somehow together. How very like parenting,
      except that, for most of our partial crowd of sixteen million, there
      were no textbooks!

      Parents and abbatial types, take heart. God not only CAN use
      anything, He HAS to use anything. The human standards throughout
      history after Eden have made that more than certain. God knows and
      loves each of us. He is more parent than we are and He is, unlike
      ourselves, perfect.

      Message 58 of 58 , Jan 16, 2013

        Prayers, please, for Kathleen, 92, having esophageal surgery, many problems, badly needs prayers.

        Prayers, please, for Adolfo and his wife, Mary Carmen.

        Prayers for Chris, on his 42nd birthday, graces galore and many more!

        But if anyone should presume to do so,
        At the same time,
        and in observance of the Rule,
        knowing that beyond a doubt
        to God, the most just Judge.

        be of lesser importance,
        It is written,
        "Do everything with counsel,

        we have a Father, not a Fuhrer.

        fancy."

        relationship ceases to become self. None of us are anywheres near the

        not revolve around us as an axis!

        frequently
        have to be dragged, kicking and screaming, into that compliance!

        Petersham