Holy Rule for Jan. 5

    Message 1 of 58 , Jan 4, 2013

      Prayers for Amanda, 27, Aubrey, 5, and Bailey, 15, all of whom died in a house fire, and all their family and all who mourn them, also for two others in the hospital after the fire.

      Brad and Alicia and their newborn twin girls, Ayla and Bryn, each weighing under three pounds at birth and multiple health issues. Both losing wieght, too.

      Prayers for Craig that he gets house listings and sales for his real estate. The situation is becoming dire as he cannot pay mortgage, etc. Also prayers for Craig whose back went into spasms last night, probably from the stress. He can hardly move.

      Prayers for Brittany and Orest flying back to BC this morning, for a safe trip and for the insurance for the car accident they had coming for Christmas to be worked out.

      Prayers for healing for all of Elaine's family relationships as there has been some stress and hurt feelings.

      Prayers for Father Francis, discerning whether to leave the priesthood that he is given the strength to stay a priest.

      Deo gratias: Carol had a good stress test and her daughter, Melissa, got a tuition grant to go to school.

      Prayers for Doug, in the hospital with a severe diabetic ulcer on his foot, may need surgery, MRI pending.

      Prayers, please, for Jo; really tough examinations and an even tougher job situation.

      Deo gratias for past prayers answered

      Lord, help us all as You know and will. God's will is best. Allis mercy and

      Prologue (continued)

      Hence the Lord says in the Gospel,
      "Whoever listens to these words of Mine and acts upon them,
      I will liken to a wise person
      who built a house on rock.
      The floods came,
      the winds blew and beat against that house,
      and it did not fall,
      because it had been founded on rock" (Matt. 7:24-25).

      Having given us these assurances,
      the Lord is waiting every day
      for us to respond by our deeds to His holy admonitions.
      And the days of this life are lengthened
      and a respite granted us for this very reason,
      that we may amend our evil ways.
      As the Apostle says,
      "Do you not know that God's patience is inviting you to repent" (Rom.
      2:4)?
      For the merciful Lord tells us,
      "I desire not the death of the sinner,
      but that the sinner should be converted and live" (Ezech. 33:11).

      REFLECTION

      People like me are very prone to regard repentance with the same
      eagerness that we ordinarily reserve for cleaning the
      refrigerator: "I'll get around to that..." Truth is, I rarely do.
      What happens instead is that one of our wonderful Oblates, Richard of
      Springfield (who gets this daily reflection,) comes for a weekend and
      cleans the icebox. Hallelujah! Saint Richard!! Thank you, Richard!
      Richard cleans like a dream and our world looks a lot better whenever
      he's been here!

      If you are not like me, and your icebox has ALWAYS been clean, is
      buffed up every week to shining glory and you carry a damp washcloth
      every time you open the fridge just in case, then fine, this portion
      was not written for you. However, it should be noted that even
      immaculate icebox types may have to check behind the icebox or take a
      look at the oven.... I mean, if you want to be REALLY perfect, you
      could move the fridge and wax the floor underneath- with paste wax
      and a buffer, of course!

      Get my point? This is surely written for most of us. Most of us have
      some sort of a grungy corner that we'll "get to tomorrow," if ever.
      St. Benedict is reminding us again that "Now is the acceptable
      time..." Orthodox St. Isaac of Syria said: "This life has been given to you
      for repentance, do not waste it in vain pursuits."

      Sadly, people like me hear in St. Isaac's words: "This life has been
      given to you for icebox cleaning..." Yeah, right! Oh boy, what a thrill!
      Such a gift! Just can't wait to get up each morning! And we shrug and walk
      away. Why? Because the typically monastic idea of repentance is very
      different from that of our modern Christianity.

      We tend to look at repentance as necessary in proportion to guilt.
      The early monastics saw it as necessary for everyone, period. We
      would almost chuckle at the idea of a virgin martyr of twelve in the
      Roman world repenting. "Of what?" we'd incredulously ask. The early
      monastic would see no problem there at all. Repentance, from a
      monastic and Benedictine view, is needful to for all because all are
      fallen, all are incapable of living the Christian life without God
      and grace. All of us, left to their own whims, would fall short of the
      monastic struggle.

      The repentance we speak of here is similar to that of Baptism, but
      not identical. Certainly one can be saved without entering the
      monastic way (or cleaning refrigerators, for that matter!) What St.
      Benedict is speaking of here is the special road of the monastic
      struggle. Plenty of saints, in fact most saints, were neither monks
      nor Benedictines. Big news there!

      What St. Benedict is saying is "OK, this is our approach. There are,
      of course, others, but if you want to use ours, you this is what you have
      to do." "Repent!" St. John the Baptist cried again and again in the desert,
      and somewhere along the way of that preaching, Jesus, the Lamb of God,
      stepped into the Jordan. Face it, folks, if He can answer the call to repent,
      anyone can! He had no need at all!

      What our repentance affirms is that we cannot become monastics with no
      trouble: our natures make that impossible. On our monastic way to
      God, many, many human things stand in our hearts and in our way.
      That's what we repent and shall always have to repent. Whenever our
      focus, our purity of heart is fragmented in any way, that's what we
      have to repent.

      Now, after writing this, you might safely assume that I am off to
      clean the refrigerator, but you would be wrong. I mean, after all,
      Richard IS visiting again soon and maybe he wouldn't mind starting
      the painting a little bit late... LOL! (Richard really does paint,
      though. Like a pro! Most of the new paint in the house is his work.)

      All joking aside, great thanks are due to many of our Oblates and
      guests, all of whom make ours a shared ministry of hospitality. This
      great team effort results in people being a lot more comfortable here! Say
      a prayer of thanks with me for all of them! All of them help us receive
      Christ at our door.

      Message 58 of 58 , Jan 16, 2013

        Prayers, please, for Kathleen, 92, having esophageal surgery, many problems, badly needs prayers.

        Prayers, please, for Adolfo and his wife, Mary Carmen.

        Prayers for Chris, on his 42nd birthday, graces galore and many more!

        But if anyone should presume to do so,
        At the same time,
        and in observance of the Rule,
        knowing that beyond a doubt
        to God, the most just Judge.

        be of lesser importance,
        It is written,
        "Do everything with counsel,

        we have a Father, not a Fuhrer.

        fancy."

        relationship ceases to become self. None of us are anywheres near the

        not revolve around us as an axis!

        frequently
        have to be dragged, kicking and screaming, into that compliance!

        Petersham