Holy Rule for Jan. 4

    Message 1 of 60 , Jan 3, 2013
      +PAX

      Prayers, please, for our Prioress, Mother Mary Elizabeth, on her feastday:
      graces galore and many more! Prayers, too, for all celebrating St. Elizabeth Ann
      Seton as their patron, and for the eternal rest of Br. Aelred Seton.

      Lord, help
      us all as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is

      Prologue

      Having our loins girded, therefore,
      with faith and the performance of good works (Eph. 6:14),
      let us walk in His paths
      by the guidance of the Gospel,
      that we may deserve to see Him
      who has called us to His kingdom (1 Thess. 2:12).

      For if we wish to dwell in the tent of that kingdom,
      we must run to it by good deeds
      or we shall never reach it.

      But let us ask the Lord, with the Prophet,
      "Lord, who shall dwell in Your tent,
      or who shall rest upon Your holy mountain" (Ps. 14:1)?

      After this question,
      let us listen to the Lord
      as He answers and shows us the way to that tent, saying,
      "The one Who walks without stain and practices justice;
      who speaks truth from his heart;
      who has not used his tongue for deceit;
      who has done no evil to his neighbor;
      who has given no place to slander against his neighbor."

      This is the one who,
      under any temptation from the malicious devil,
      has brought him to naught (Ps. 14:4)
      by casting him and his temptation from the sight of his heart;
      and who has laid hold of his thoughts
      while they were still young
      and dashed them against Christ (Ps. 136:9).

      It is they who,
      fearing the Lord (Ps. 14:4),
      do not pride themselves on their good observance;
      but,
      convinced that the good which is in them
      cannot come from themselves and must be from the Lord,
      glorify the Lord's work in them (Ps. 14:4),
      using the words of the Prophet,
      "Not to us, O Lord, not to us,
      but to Your name give the glory" (Ps. 113, 2nd part:1).
      Thus also the Apostle Paul
      attributed nothing of the success of his preaching to himself,
      but said,
      "By the grace of God I am what I am" (1 Cor. 15:10).
      And again he says,
      "He who glories, let him glory in the Lord" (2 Cor. 10:17).

      REFLECTION

      Ever have that funny feeling of surprise that the world and time and
      life and events go resolutely on, even when you are stalled in
      heartbreak? It is a strange egocentricity that allows us to feel
      that. I remember clearly such a feeling when my father died. I was
      not quite eleven. My world was shattered, everything had stopped or
      changed or been put on hold.

      Child that I was, it stunned me slightly to notice from the car
      window on the way to the cemetery that it was just another sunny day
      for everyone else. People were working, shopping, going to school.
      The world WAS going on, nothing had changed for them. It made me feel
      strangely even more alone in my pain: he wasn't as important to the
      rest of the world as he was to me.

      We can still have these feelings as adults, but hopefully we are at
      least more used to them and less inclined to think the world really
      DOES stop when we think it should. Tough though that can still be,
      it is reality and reality is truth and truth, after all, is not
      only humility but also what Jesus called Himself.

      What does all this have to do with the Prologue? The same sort of
      really unfortunate egocentricity can let us think that we are the
      center of the known universe in other ways, can allow us to foolishly
      think that our gifts or the tiny packets of virtues we have stashed
      here and there are our own. No way, folks! It is grace, it is gift,
      ALL is gift, beginning with our very existence!

      Everything good, in every way is all from God, not us. We dare glory
      in nothing but Him, for we would be less than nothing without His
      grace acting in us. He is the Source that allows us to be good.

      If a city has clean, wondrous, spring water, no one in their right
      mind praises the pipes. No, one praises the purity of the Source. So
      it is with us, m'dears, pipes one and all, nothing more or less. God
      is the Source, God's mercy and love and grace and gift are the purest
      of waters. We are His conduits and we dare not glory, except in the
      Lord! "Not to us, O Lord, not to us, but to Your Name give the glory!"

      Message 60 of 60 , Nov 23

        +PAX

        Prayers for the eternal rest of Emilia’s Mom, who died peacefully, and prayers for Emilia and all her family and all who mourn her Mom.

        Prayers for the eternal rest of Fr. Timothy, OSB, of New Subiaco Abbey, Arkansas, and for his family, Community and all who mourn him.

        Deo gratias and prayers of thanks, Charlie’s bladder cancer surgery went well and the lab work came back clear, cancer-free. Prayers for his continued recovery and health.

        Prayers for the health of Brs. Bruno, Anselm and Ephrem, of New Subiaco Abbey, all three have had a variety of hospitalizations and problems.

        Prayers for Doug and Catherine, who have lost some family members in the past year, may their loved ones rest in peace and may those surviving be consoled.

        Prayers for the eternal rest of Greg, and for all his family and all who mourn him

        Prayers for B., for her return to the Faith.

        Chapter 45: On Those Who Make Mistakes in the Oratory

        When anyone has made a mistake
        while reciting a Psalm, a responsory,
        an antiphon or a lesson,
        if he does not humble himself there before all
        by making a satisfaction,
        let him undergo a greater punishment
        because he would not correct by humility
        what he did wrong through carelessness.

        But boys for such faults shall be whipped.

        REFLECTION

        Calm down, we don't whip anybody anymore. It has too often been my
        experience that such lines push all the buttons of some readers these
        days and blind them to the rest of the good stuff there. We don't
        whip now, they did 1,500 years ago, everyone else did, too. Let's not
        get so mired in the sensitivities of our own time that we forget how
        terribly recent some of them are.

        As I have mentioned before, in our house we do kneel in the center
        when late for choir, then bow to the superior and go to our
        place. We also kneel when we make audible mistakes in Church. And
        yes, those things, as I pointed out, can be very useful.

        But most Oblates do not have a choir to kneel in, so
        what's here for the majority of us? There is the grace of humility,
        without which communal life on any level, in monastery, workplace, market or
        home would be unlivable.

        Every single human community or whatever sort is going to have its
        share of kinks, strays and crosses. Every one without fail
        will mirror in some sense the fallen brokenness of humanity. The
        gamut of human flaws exists in microcosm, in at least some mitigated form,
        in every human group.

        Even more annoyingly, most, if not all, pieces of our OWN broken
        humanity will be modeled, much to our distaste, by others around us. It is,
        alas, our own sins and faults in others that tend to annoy us most. Never
        forget to check for that. He or she may REALLY tick you off because
        of the great similarities between you!

        Our job is to see to it that we are part of the solution, not part
        of the problem. When, through whatever means, we become part of the problem,
        we must own up to it at once and smooth it over as best and as
        quickly as we can.

        If you can't say "I'm sorry," for heaven's sake- quite literally- start
        practicing alone in front of a mirror until the words can somehow
        tumble out in public. Until they can, try some useful (though not
        perfect,) substitutes, like "Excuse me," or "It was my fault." Work
        on words of forgiveness, too, like: "It doesn't matter," or "Oh,
        that's OK,".

        Strive to make light of things. There will never be any
        shortage whatever of people who will explode and magnify things out
        of all rational proportion, so don't duplicate services! Join the
        minority and try to prevent hurricanes in teacups, rather than
        produce them.

        Most outrage, most lack of apology, most tempests in teacups stem
        from a distorted an unhealthy view of the self. Humility corrects
        that imbalance. While you're in front of the mirror practicing
        apology, why not try a bit of self-interview?

        WHY do these things or persons upset you so? What do you have in
        common with those who annoy you most? Most important, just who the
        heck ARE you that your perceived slights are such a big deal? Try
        reminding yourself that He is God and you are not. Honest reflection on these
        points may be a big and promising start.