Holy Rule for Dec. 31

    Message 1 of 58 , Dec 30, 2012

      Prayers for Tracy. She lost her electric from the snowstorm; and she and her children were staying with in-laws. On her way there her car broke down. It is a major problem. $2000.00 to fix. They took her home last night and her pipes have broken. The pipes need to be fixed. She needs deliverance.

      Prayers for Alan, cardiac arrest this morning, in ICU in induced coma, prognosis not good, he was without oxygen to his brain and they can't tell yet if there is brain damage or not. Prayers for his family, too.

      Prayers for Jim, involved in a horrific car accident in which a car jumped the median and ran full-force into Jim's car, causing multiple serious injuries. At present they are trying to keep him alive.

      Prayers for C., experiencing anger, bitterness and resentment in her life, along with some joy.

      Mrs. Service is doing better again, having ups and downs, prayers for whatevere God wills for her, and prayers for her family.

      grace. God is never absent, praise HIm! Thanks so much. JL

      May 1, August 31, December 31
      Chapter 73: On the Fact That the Full Observance of Justice Is Not
      Established in This Rule

      Now we have written this Rule
      in order that by its observance in monasteries
      we may show that we have attained some degree of virtue
      and the rudiments of the religious life.

      But for those who would hasten to the perfection of that life
      there are the teaching of the holy Fathers,
      the observance of which leads to the height of perfection.
      For what page or what utterance
      of the divinely inspired books of the Old and New Testaments
      is not a most unerring rule for human life?
      Or what book of the holy Catholic Fathers
      does not loudly proclaim
      how we may come by a straight course to our Creator?
      Then the Conferences and the Institutes
      and the Lives of the Fathers,
      as also the Rule of our holy Father Basil --
      what else are they but tools of virtue
      for right-living and obedient monks?
      But for us who are lazy and ill-living and negligent
      they are a source of shame and confusion.

      Whoever you are, therefore,
      who are hastening to the heavenly homeland,
      fulfil with the help of Christ
      this minimum Rule which we have written for beginners;
      and then at length under God's protection
      you will attain to the loftier heights of doctrine and virtue
      which we have mentioned above.

      REFLECTION

      "Whoever you are, therefore, who are hastening to the heavenly
      homeland..." That "whoever" is the true object all this heartfelt
      tenderness of Saint Benedict , the one for whom he wrote! He only
      made one qualifier, that of "hastening to the heavenly homeland." It
      seems that some of our decisions about who matters and who does not
      have employed a somewhat more restrictive standard than that of our
      holy Father Benedict.

      "Whoever you are..." I don't care who you are or how much I disagree
      with you, whether I nearly hate your positions or love them blindly,
      it is you I am called to love, to honor to respect, to cherish as a
      fellow monastic traveler. You matter to me. You do. You have to,
      because this is the Holy Rule I have embraced, that we all have.

      In the United States, through much of our history, Catholics and Jews
      shared a roughly equal amount of contempt. Great camaraderie could
      flourish between the two and still quite often does. Having said
      that, it has always amused me that many Jews I know get along MUCH
      better with Catholics than they do with Jews who disagree with them!
      How like ourselves!

      When disagreement happens within our family, we hurt more, it is more
      important to us. The differing opinion of a stranger on the subway
      would hardly matter at all! Maybe the fact that we CAN get hurt and
      angry is a good sign, maybe it means we are at least beginning to
      love, but it is HOW we get hurt or angry that we have to examine
      very, very closely.

      The important thing is not opinion or observance or concepts. The
      important thing is you. Whoever you are. Every time I fail that, I
      have to get up, apologize and start over. Maybe not right from square
      one each time, but again each time.

      If I ever stop doing those things, I have stopped being a
      Benedictine. Whoever you are- but it's not just me that has to
      embrace that, you do, too. We all do. I am the only one I can insist
      upon, however, the only one I can make change, and that might be good
      to keep in mind, whoever you are.

      Message 58 of 58 , Jan 16, 2013

        Prayers, please, for Kathleen, 92, having esophageal surgery, many problems, badly needs prayers.

        Prayers, please, for Adolfo and his wife, Mary Carmen.

        Prayers for Chris, on his 42nd birthday, graces galore and many more!

        But if anyone should presume to do so,
        At the same time,
        and in observance of the Rule,
        knowing that beyond a doubt
        to God, the most just Judge.

        be of lesser importance,
        It is written,
        "Do everything with counsel,

        we have a Father, not a Fuhrer.

        fancy."

        relationship ceases to become self. None of us are anywheres near the

        not revolve around us as an axis!

        frequently
        have to be dragged, kicking and screaming, into that compliance!

        Petersham