Holy Rule for Dec. 14

    Message 1 of 58 , Dec 13, 2012

      Prayers, please, for Christine, surgery for a brain tumor.

      Prayers for Earl, who had a stroke.

      Prayers for newborn Kenneth Alexander, prayers of thanks, he and his mother are doing fine, prayers, too, for his parents and great uncle Richard, who asked.

      Chapter 60: On Priests Who May Wish to Live in the Monastery

      If any ordained priest should ask to be received into the monastery,
      permission shall not be granted too readily. But if he is quite
      persistent in his request, let him know that he will have to observe
      the whole discipline of the Rule and that nothing will be relaxed in
      his favor,
      that it may be as it is written: "Friend, for what have you come
      (Matt. 26:50)?"

      It shall be granted him, however, to stand next after the Abbot and
      to give blessings and to celebrate Mass, but only by order of the
      Abbot.
      Without such order let him not make any exceptions for himself,
      knowing that he is subject to the discipline of the Rule; but rather
      let him give an example of humility to all.

      If there happens to be question of an appointment or of some business
      in the monastery, let him expect the rank due him according to the
      date of his entrance into the monastery, and not the place granted him
      out of reverence for the priesthood.

      If any clerics, moved by the same desire, should wish to join the
      monastery, let them be placed in a middle rank. But they too are to
      be admitted only if they promise observance of the Rule and stability.

      REFLECTION

      The quintessential question of the Holy Rule is that of
      Jesus: "Friend, for what have you come?" The only acceptable answer
      to the question is: "To seek God." That might be rephrased in any of
      a number of ways, but that's the main event, the only game in town,
      the end all be all of Benedictine monastic life.

      It is very necessary, in stating that we seek God, to admit that we
      haven't altogether found Him yet, nor will we ever do so before
      death. Even in the beatific vision of heaven itself, we creatures
      will never, ever get to the root of our Creator, to the "ground zero"
      of God. We will travel ever deeper into Him for eternity.

      Another way of saying this is that we need to come to the Holy Rule
      and to the Gospel and to Christ admitting how frighteningly little we
      DO know, how very much we need to learn. If we think an MDiv or an MD
      or a BS may have corrected that problem, even slightly, well, maybe
      the degree is just about all we've gotten from the experience.

      For heaven's sake, after spending so many years of my life trying to
      become clever, what a tremendous relief it is to be admittedly dumb:
      pluperfectly, fallibly, humanly, screamingly, shriekingly DUMB! Boy,
      I love it! Ignorance truly *IS* bliss, just like they told ya!

      In one sense, I heartily recommend it. It is the only position from
      which one may learn anything at all. Get too smart (or think you
      have!) and you will never listen, thereby failing another Benedictine
      hallmark. You won't learn because all your energy will go into
      composing your rejoinder or response. Such people do not learn. They
      merely joust. Life is more than that, much more. Tons more.

      Message 58 of 58 , Jan 16, 2013

        Prayers, please, for Kathleen, 92, having esophageal surgery, many problems, badly needs prayers.

        Prayers, please, for Adolfo and his wife, Mary Carmen.

        Prayers for Chris, on his 42nd birthday, graces galore and many more!

        But if anyone should presume to do so,
        At the same time,
        and in observance of the Rule,
        knowing that beyond a doubt
        to God, the most just Judge.

        be of lesser importance,
        It is written,
        "Do everything with counsel,

        we have a Father, not a Fuhrer.

        fancy."

        relationship ceases to become self. None of us are anywheres near the

        not revolve around us as an axis!

        frequently
        have to be dragged, kicking and screaming, into that compliance!

        Petersham