Holy Rule for Dec. 13

    Message 1 of 58 , Dec 12, 2012

      Deo gratias:

      Tristan, the baby with croup, is home from the hospital and doing well. Continued prayers for his recovery.

      Sean's Dad completed his radiation for melanoma and docs consider it a success, though too early to be sure yet. Continued prayers that he recovers.

      Owen's interview went well, he should hear something in a week or so.

      Please pray for healing for Darren (early 40's) who recently lost his father, which sudden event has put him back into a very bad downward spiral of depression. Darren was hospitalized with depression following service in the Gulf with the British Army and has never fully got over whatever it was that happened there. Prayers for his wife and family, too.

      Prayers for Dave and Marian on their 31st wedding anniversary.

      Chapter 59: On the Sons of Nobles and of the Poor Who Are Offered

      If anyone of the nobility offers his son to God in the monastery
      and the boy is very young, let his parents draw up the document which
      we mentioned above; and at the oblation let them wrap the document
      itself and the boy's hand in the altar cloth. That is how they offer

      As regards their property, they shall promise in the same petition
      under oath that they will never of themselves, or through an
      intermediary, or in any way whatever, give him anything or provide
      him with the opportunity of owning anything. Or else, if they are
      unwilling to do this,
      and if they want to offer something as an alms to the monastery for
      their advantage, let them make a donation of the property they wish
      to give to the monastery, reserving the income to themselves if they
      And in this way let everything be barred, so that the boy may have no
      expectations whereby (which God forbid) he might be deceived and
      ruined, as we have learned by experience.

      Let those who are less well-to-do make a similar offering. But those
      who have nothing at all shall simply draw up the document and offer
      their son before witnesses at the oblation.

      This is the chapter that allows us to have (and be!) Oblates. How
      different would all of our lives be if this chapter had never been
      written! While I dwell on the Order as a whole in this reflection,
      how drastically different and how impoverished my life would be
      without Oblates. How very deeply my life is shaped by so many of you
      and how very grateful for that I am!

      Reflect a moment on how rich your life WOULDN'T be if you had no
      Benedictine family, if the Order had never even been founded. Think
      about brothers, sisters and friends whom you would not know, about
      what you would have missed. For starters, many of us would not be
      members on at least a couple of the forums this appears on- they
      wouldn't exist! Our wonderful fraternity in cyberspace would have
      never happened at all.

      In my own life there would have been no St. Leo, no Brother Patrick,
      no Petersham or Pluscarden. My college degree would never have
      happened and my dear friend, Jean Ronan, would never have even met
      me, let alone taught me theology.

      Every single thing I ever received from the Benedictine Order, all the
      example, all the awe and joy, and yes, even all the pain that formed
      me, would never have existed, nor would I have had any role in the
      lives of my Benedictine family of brothers and sisters. Nada. Zilch.

      Europe would look a lot different, probably worse, and the Book of
      Common Prayer would be devoid of all those wonderful OSB elements
      like Morning Prayer and Evensong. Even the architecture of Anglican
      Churches would differ: the monastic choir-in-sanctuary style would
      probably be unknown.

      Often the best way to access a treasure is to imagine its loss. We
      can take for granted things which are of inestimable value. Make
      today's chapter an opportunity for such an assessment. Carry it even
      further, to some other dear and wonderful things in your life. What
      if there were no Church? What if you had no family ? (I know, I
      know... sometimes that sounds tempting! But even in dysfunctional
      families, you would NEVER be exactly who you are without them.) Often
      the best appreciation of how things are can be had by such

      We all owe a great, great deal to St. Benedict and to his sons and
      daughters. Let us pray for our Benedictine family and give thanks,
      deep thanks for the gift we have all received!

      Message 58 of 58 , Jan 16, 2013

        Prayers, please, for Kathleen, 92, having esophageal surgery, many problems, badly needs prayers.

        Prayers, please, for Adolfo and his wife, Mary Carmen.

        Prayers for Chris, on his 42nd birthday, graces galore and many more!

        But if anyone should presume to do so,
        At the same time,
        and in observance of the Rule,
        knowing that beyond a doubt
        to God, the most just Judge.

        be of lesser importance,
        It is written,
        "Do everything with counsel,

        we have a Father, not a Fuhrer.

        relationship ceases to become self. None of us are anywheres near the

        not revolve around us as an axis!

        have to be dragged, kicking and screaming, into that compliance!