Holy Rule for Dec. 12

    Message 1 of 58 , Dec 11, 2012

      Prayers for the eternal rest of Ken, who passed away after several years of suffering, and for his spouse and family as they move forward with faith.

      Prayers, please, for the spiritual, phyiscal and temporal welfare of the following, for all their loved ones and all who take care of them:

      Owen, has an interview that is important.

      Bob, had surgery.

      Elaine, extensive surgery to try to control her cancer. She has other serious health problems so will need lots of prayers.

      Siobhan and her parents, they have home health aides 24/7, but not sure how long they can keep up with the expense, and they have some adjustments to make.

      Em and Don, failing in health, living alone and insisting on remaining such; that they realize they are alienating those who love them, and that they both could use help.

      Fred, dealing with serious repercussions of surgery for oral cancer. The biggest problem is an enormously long blood clot in his leg, which doctors aren't sure how to treat. Please also include in your prayers his wife, Leslie.

      Tom, on his birthday, many more ad multos annos.

      Lord help us all as You know and will. God's will is best. All is

      When she is to be received she promises before all in the oratory
      stability, fidelity to monastic life and obedience. This promise
      she shall make before God and His Saints,
      so that if she should ever act otherwise, she may know that she
      will be condemned by Him whom she mocks. Of this promise of hers
      let her draw up a document in the name of the Saints whose relics
      are there and of the Abbess who is present. Let her write this
      document with her own hand; or if she is illiterate, let another
      write it at her request,
      and let the novice put her mark to it. Then let her place it with
      her own hand upon the altar;
      and when she has placed it there, let the novice at once intone
      this verse: "Receive me, O Lord, according to Your word, and I
      shall live: and let me not be confounded in my hope" (Ps. 118
      [119]:116). Let the whole community answer this verse three times
      and add the "Glory be to the Father." Then let the novice prostrate
      herself at each one's feet,
      that they may pray for her. And from that day forward let her be
      counted as one of the community.

      If she has any property, let her either give it beforehand to the
      poor or by solemn donation bestow it on the monastery, reserving
      nothing at all for herself, as indeed she knows that from that day
      forward she will no longer have power even over her own body. At
      once, therefore, in the oratory, let her be divested of her own
      clothes which she is wearing
      and dressed in the clothes of the monastery. But let the clothes of
      which she was divested
      be put aside in the wardrobe and kept there. Then if she should
      ever listen to the persuasions of the devil and decide to leave the
      monastery (which God forbid), she may be divested of the monastic
      clothes and cast out. Her document, however, which the Abbess has
      taken from the altar, shall not be returned to her, but shall be
      kept in the monastery.

      REFLECTION

      The Church approves religious rules. This is the basis for
      asserting that our Holy Rule is inspired by the Holy Spirit,
      because the Church gave its seal of approval. The Church, however,
      is indubitably older and often wiser than monastic life. It predates every
      form of optional religious commitment. It is the blessing of the Church
      which makes official monastic life possible for any and all of us.

      This is just a prelude to saying that the wisdom of the Church long
      ago stopped people from making solemn vows, a life-long commitment
      difficult to break, right out of novitiate. Not only does this
      longer program protect people, to a certain extent, from making a
      mistake, it also spares the monastery from having a lot of
      undesirables with chapter votes running the show. There are
      some I have known who left in simple vows for whose exit I remain
      eternally grateful! Thanks be to God that they were never chapter
      members with votes. What a zoo that would have been!

      A year may well have been enough in St. Benedict's time. People had
      vastly shorter life spans, it was a bigger chunk of their lives.
      They also had to grow up more quickly and their options were fewer
      by far than those of our own day.

      Oblates, therefore, can garner a few kernels of truth in this
      chapter about commitment, that bugbear of the baby boomer
      generation and beyond. Modern people find it terribly hard to
      commit, some never manage it at all. As such, a bit of wisdom older
      than our own age may be very useful in our everyday lives.

      Benedictines are not people afraid of commitment, but we live in a
      world where many are. Our witness here must be care and balance. We
      must resolutely walk BETWEEN the extremes of foolhardy haste and
      crippling fear. In the world of today, that is no small witness and
      no easy task. Pull this one off, and you have a done a service to
      many, not just to yourself!

      http://www.stmarysmonastery.org/

      Message 58 of 58 , Jan 16, 2013

        Prayers, please, for Kathleen, 92, having esophageal surgery, many problems, badly needs prayers.

        Prayers, please, for Adolfo and his wife, Mary Carmen.

        Prayers for Chris, on his 42nd birthday, graces galore and many more!

        But if anyone should presume to do so,
        At the same time,
        and in observance of the Rule,
        knowing that beyond a doubt
        to God, the most just Judge.

        be of lesser importance,
        It is written,
        "Do everything with counsel,

        we have a Father, not a Fuhrer.

        fancy."

        relationship ceases to become self. None of us are anywheres near the

        not revolve around us as an axis!

        frequently
        have to be dragged, kicking and screaming, into that compliance!

        Petersham