Holy Rule for Nov. 11

    Message 1 of 238 , Nov 10, 2012
      +Pax

      Prayers, please, for the eternal rest of Fr. Martin,OSB, of Mt. Savior Monastery, and for all his family and commmunity and all who mourn him.

      Prayers for Fr. Martin of Pluscarden Abbey, on his patronal feast. Prayers for all our Martins, too, esp. Martin G. and Martin S.

      Prayers for Sandy, having bladder surgery on Monday.

      Prayers for Bob, brain surgery found 2 tumors, one inoperable, the other biopsed and cancer is suspected.

      Lord, help us all as You know and will. God's will is
      best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much.
      JL

      March 12, July 12, November 11
      Chapter 34: Whether All Should Receive in Equal Measure What Is
      Necessary

      Let us follow the Scripture,
      "Distribution was made to each
      according as anyone had need" (Acts 4:35).
      By this we do not mean that there should be respecting of persons
      (which God forbid),
      but consideration for infirmities.
      She who needs less should thank God and not be discontented;
      but she who needs more
      should be humbled by the thought of her infirmity
      rather than feeling important
      on account of the kindness shown her.
      Thus all the members will be at peace.

      Above all, let not the evil of murmuring appear
      for any reason whatsoever
      in the least word or sign.
      If anyone is caught at it,
      let her be placed under very severe discipline.

      REFLECTION

      One reason murmuring is so strongly proscribed here is that its
      origin in this case is likely to be from jealousy. Jealousy is a
      terrible thing in any human being, but even more treacherous when the
      people involved have to live and work together in community. Jealousy
      in monastics is a sure sign that one is in trouble. Perfect monastics
      simply don't care about such stuff! (If they did at all, it would only be to
      rejoice for the other!)

      Yet many of us- myself roundly included- can still find jealousy
      rearing its ugly head from time to time. It is part of our fallen
      human nature, it is also part of us that has not grown up yet: an
      inner child that is still screaming "Mom ALWAYS liked you best!"
      Sigh... Jealousy cannot live without ignorance or falsehood, so
      reality checks may be helpful, shaking ourselves awake to what is
      true and real, reminding ourselves what we do NOT know and cannot
      know about another's situation compared to our own.

      Did we but know the gift of God! Ah, but we most surely do NOT know
      it! If we did, we should be far, far more grateful for the different
      ways He deals with people. We should be relieved that we have not the
      gifts of others, since we have not their peculiar circumstances nor
      vocations nor personalities to deal with those gifts. We should also
      be able to more clearly see how richly- and utterly appropriately- we
      ourselves have been blessed. God is no wretched giver, and we are ALL
      swathed in His unfathomable mercy.

      Message 238 of 238 , Sep 28

        +PAX

        Prayers for the Benedictine Nuns of the Congregation of Ste. Bathilde, having their General Chapter, for guidance from the Holy Spirit for all.

        Prayers for Louis, having kidney surgery.

        Prayers for Paul, having serious back surgery.