Holy Rule for Nov. 7

    Message 1 of 237 , Nov 6, 2012
      +PAX

      I accidnetally sent Nov. 7 yesterday, this is Nov. 6 to catch up. BJL

      Please pray for healing for Andrew has been Diagnosed with a brain Tumor and has had multiple seizures because of it. At this time they are uncertain of the diagnosis due to the fact that the pathology report has not come back. Prognosis is not looking very good.

      Update: Bella, the little girl with the shotgun wound has been moved to rehab and is now able to stand with the aid of a cane and can take a few steps with people supporting her front and back. She has a toxic level of lead in her system from the buckshot that remains in her and they have decided that they will not do any more surgery to remove the remaining 40 or so pellets still in her. Please continue prayers for healing.

      Prayers for the US election today. May God's will be done.

      Please pray for healing for Angel, 10 months. He is going in Thursday Nov. 8 for some corrective surgery on the male anatomy.

      Please pray for Elaine's sister Charlene. She was just told that she might have breast cancer and they are sending her for tests. Tests in Canada usually require weeks and sometimes months. The doctor got her in tomorrow at 11am so it looks quite serious at this point. Prayers please that she does not have cancer.

      Prayers continued for Eileen, for whom we prayed, she now has a twisted bowel.

      Prayers for the eternal rest of Marianne, 88, for whom we prayed, and for all her family, esp. her sister, Joyce, and for all who mourn her.

      Prayer for Mike andf Skip, his dog, both were attacked by a pit bull and injured, and for Joanne, his wife.

      Deo gratias, prayers for newborn Elizabeth Rose and her parents and grandparents.

      Deo gratias, prayers for Rob and his wife and their newboen daughter.

      Chapter 30: How Boys Are to Be Corrected

      Every age and degree of understanding
      should have its proper measure of discipline.
      With regard to boys and adolescents, therefore,
      or those who cannot understand the seriousness
      of the penalty of excommunication,
      whenever such as these are delinquent
      let them be subjected to severe fasts
      or brought to terms by harsh beatings,
      that they may be cured.

      REFLECTION

      We are, after all, creatures of our own age, for better or worse.
      Every age has its hotspots and button-pushers, so it should amaze no
      one that many freak out immediately on the phrase "harsh beatings." ("Calm
      down now, breathe deeply. Paramedics will be here any minute
      now..Try not to speak...We'll see if we can get that dosage adjusted
      for you so you won't have these dreadful fugues anymore...")

      Don't let our own age's revulsion at corporal punishment (which was
      thought perfectly sane when St. Benedict wrote,) blind you to the
      pearl of great price herein. "Every age and degree of understanding
      should have its proper measure of discipline."

      Probably unintentional (but the Holy Spirit can sneak a lot of His
      stuff into our words,) is the poetic ambiguity of the words "every
      age." That can mean all ages of an individual AND all ages of
      history. Quite evidently, the best minds of our own age no longer
      subscribe to beating sense into someone as a terribly useful method.
      So we affirm that and move on to the good stuff here.

      The good stuff is personalism in the extreme. Every person is
      different at every stage of their lives and every age in which people
      are born produces different people. We are different from the
      generations before us because everything that formed us was NOT
      identical to the external forces which formed our elders.

      Think of the people you have thought were mean. I'll bet that there
      is a statistically significant trend among them, a tendency to "one
      size fits all" in punishment. Not so, folks, not so. Any who think
      that one size fits all certainly couldn't hold
      such a position if they were actually looking at the person before
      them.

      St. Benedict wants us to look at the person at all times, not just in
      figuring out a punishment or discipline. Look at the person, LOOK,
      really look at the other. Why? because in the confusing mosaic of all
      those others we shall see Christ, to Whom we must prefer nothing,
      because He is really, truly there. Over time and with struggles, that
      kaleidoscopic mess of bits will emerge into a truest portrait, even if
      only in Heaven. We shall, when we see Christ at last, recognize Him
      better and at once because of all His people who have given us
      glimpses, no matter how slight.

      Message 237 of 237 , Jun 10, 2016

        Matt and Bettie are celebrating 22 years of marriage, not 201 as they awful typo reads. I thought it was 21 years, but Matt kindly corrected my mistake.