Holy Rule for Nov. 4

    Message 1 of 236 , Nov 3, 2012

      Prayers, please for all suffering after hurricane Sandy.

      Prayers for Eileen, who has been in and out hospital a lot this year 7 times in fact. Was being being treated for major heart blockages but thank God that is not the case but has now a bladder infection plus many other ailments and is very weak. She is 82 has raised 15 children and has been a widow for 42 years. For strength and that if God calls her for a happy death and peaceful end.

      Prayers for Sheila and Chip - their young son Joe and a baby girl due the beginning of December. Chip got a very rough diagnosis - cancer in a lot of places in his body - oncology report early next week will determine prognosis - He's very young - 31 - and soon to be the father of two -- so hoping for the best possible outcome - or something better!

      Prayers for a young man who has suffered a stroke.

      Prayers for Zeph, awaiting a prison sentence, requsted by his aunt. His mother needs prayers to find God.

      Nov. 4
      Chapter 28: On Those Who Will Not Amend after Repeated Corrections

      If a sister who has been frequently corrected for some fault, and
      even excommunicated,
      does not amend, let a harsher correction be applied, that is, let
      the punishment of the rod be administered.

      But if she still does not reform or perhaps (which God forbid) even
      rises up in pride and wants to defend her conduct, then let the
      Abbess do what a wise physician would do.
      Having used applications, the ointments of exhortation, the
      medicines of the Holy Scriptures, finally the cautery of
      excommunication and of the strokes of the rod, if she sees that her
      efforts are of no avail, let her apply a still greater remedy, her
      own prayers and those of all the others, that the Lord, who can do
      all things may restore health to the sister who is sick.

      But if she is not healed even in this way, then let the Abbess use
      the knife of amputation,
      according to the Apostle's words, "Expel the evil one from your
      midst" (1 Cor. 5:13),
      and again, "If the faithless one departs, let her depart" (1 Cor.
      7:15) lest one diseased sheep contaminate the whole flock.

      REFLECTION

      The Holy Rule and its author, St. Benedict, are tremendously kind,
      insisting that we go all the way we possibly can and even a bit
      beyond with the erring. All that love and care and sorely tried
      patience is absolutely necessary before this point, "the knife of
      amputation," is reached. This, too, is a great and important part
      of mercy, though we may not easily see that at first.

      There are times when nothing is left but, as AA would put it, to
      let that person hit bottom. Even that may or may not work, but we
      sometimes have nothing else to apply. To continue forbearance at
      such a time is merely to enable, to actually participate in the
      person's self-destruction. Al Anon could tell you a lot about the
      wisdom of enabling.

      This is so hard for us, to finally, seemingly "give up" on someone.
      In truth, we never do that. We still pray, we must, but we must
      also have the humility to admit that we no longer can be of useful
      help, that we are even likely to harm further by enabling. That is
      an affront to
      our natural pride: we OUGHT to be able to heal ANYTHING, ANYONE...
      Sigh... But we aren't. We are also wounded, also imperfect.

      St. Benedict is NOT saying to give up on the person- I still pray
      for people who left decades ago and probably should have done so. I
      have no idea where they are or what they're doing, but I do know
      the monastery didn't seem to be the place that was most helpful to
      them, nor were they particularly a gift to the community.

      What St. Benedict is saying is that we must have the wisdom and
      humility to finally stop trying things that don't work, for the
      good of all concerned, including ourselves. When this point is
      reached, no one can help but God. He can always do so.
      Fix what you can, stop making it worse by enabling
      and pray for the rest.

      Message 236 of 236 , Nov 21, 2012

        assassination.

        anyone who