Feasat of All Souls

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 1, 2012

      If God allowed me to pass on only three things to others they would
      be the Divine Mercy, the Morning Offering and devotion to the Holy
      Souls, in that order. That explains my shameless re-run of this All
      Souls' Day post.

      First, a great quote:

      "We must not make purgatory into a flaming concentration camp on the
      brink of hell, or even a hell for a short time. It is
      blasphemous to think of it as a place where a petty God exacts the
      last pound or ounce of flesh.... St. Catherine of Genoa, a
      mystic of the 15th century, wrote that the fire of purgatory
      is God's love burning the soul so that, at last, the soul
      is wholly aflame. It is the pain of wanting to be made totally
      worthy of One who is seen as infinitely lovable, the pain of desire
      for union that is now
      absolutely assured, but not yet fully tasted" (Leonard Foley,
      O.F.M., Believing in Jesus)

      I beg the indulgence [now that is neither a Freudian slip nor a
      pun!!] of all our readers to who belong to traditions which do not
      believe in prayers for the dead. Given today's feast and the
      content, this is going to be a very Catholic message, but we have
      many Catholics in our midst, some of whom could well need to hear it.

      For Catholics in union with Rome, Purgatory is a defined dogma, a
      reality we cannot deny. How it happens, how long the purification
      and cleansing lasts, these matters are less clear, but we have not,
      as a Church abandoned the concept of Purgatory, nor could we. It is
      de Fide, a permanent fixture of Catholic faith. It could be a flash
      of brilliance in a twinkling, as is fashionable today to hope, but
      it could be otherwise, too. We simply do not know and
      our wishes in the matter, however charitable, are not normative!

      We also believe that in the cleansing, however brief or long, the
      soul has lost all ability to help itself. Help can come only from
      our prayers and those of the Church on earth for the Church
      Suffering, the Holy Souls. Hence, ANY assistance given them is held
      by them in literally eternal gratitude. Their prayers of
      intercession, I KNOW, from my own personal experience over years,
      are very, very powerful with God. I have never had them refuse me
      any good thing. Never.

      I often think that their gratitude is even greater these days, when
      so many Catholics have abandoned the practice of praying for them
      or offering good works or indulgences for them. If you have a heart
      for the underdog and neglected, for Heaven's sake (literally!!) take
      another look at praying for the Holy Souls who await their final
      entry to Heaven. Prayer for them is a work of mercy you can do any
      day, at any time. Corporal works of mercy sometimes may be out of
      our means or scope, but spiritual ones, never so!

      So yes, this day there is a special urgency, but every year, every
      day, stop forgetting the Holy Souls if you have been doing so in
      the past. They are great friends to have and they need us so badly.
      We can make the daily intention to gain all the indulgences we can
      that day and offer them for the Souls. What a great good is offered
      us to undertake every day.

      Now, though you were all forewarned, this part is REALLY Roman
      Catholic. A plenary (full) indulgence, applicable only to the Holy
      Souls, may be gained by those who under the usual conditions and
      having gone to Confession and Communion, visit a cemetery and say
      there some prayer of any kind for the Holy Souls. This indulgence
      may be gained on the feast itself and daily for 7 days thereafter.
      Go for it!

      If you have never tried the practice of saying a prayer for those
      buried in every cemetery you pass, do so. I confess that I didn't
      do that for most of my life, but I do now and it has become a
      practice very dear to me. I got my first good example of it when
      riding with the late Fr. Ernest Schultz of Saint Leo Abbey, himself
      a convert. He used to bless the graves in cemeteries as we drove
      past. I never forgot his example, but I am ashamed to say how long
      it took for me to follow it regularly.

      Last, but not least, a simple prayer, said to have been given to
      our own St. Gertrude the Great, OSB! The revelation apparently is
      contested by some as unverifiable, but I am willing to hope on the
      side of mercy. Jesus is reputed to have told her that 1,000 souls
      would be released for each repetition of this prayer, hence it is
      sometimes known as the 1,000 Souls Prayer. It is one of my
      favorites.

      Eternal Father, I offer You the most precious Blood of Your Divine
      Son, Jesus, in union with the Masses said throughout the world
      today for all the Holy Souls in Purgatory.

      It is short, sweet and easily memorized!