Holy Rule for Nov. 2

    Message 1 of 237 , Nov 1, 2012
      +PAX

      On this Feast of All Souls, prayers for all the faithful departed, that they may speed to heaven! Special prayers for those we have prayed for who have died and those who have died in the past year. Prayers for them all, and may they remember us when they are in heaven!

      Prayers, please, for the eternal rest of Brian, for whom we prayed, he has died of his motorcycle injuries, and for all his family and and all who mourn him.

      Prayers for the spiritual and temporal welfare of the following, for all their loved ones and all who take care of them:

      Katie, her car was totalled and she is in a neckbrace and a lot of pain, also for her mother, who is telling her to go against doctor's orders.

      Brian, in a great deal of pain after surgery, for a speedy recovery and relief from his pain.

      Alan, who just found out he has cancer and it is does not look good. He is currently in the hospital. Please pray that if it is God's will that Alan is healed. Prayers for Alan's family and all friends who are affected by this devastating news.

      Belated birthday prayers for our Sr. Mary Herbert, on her 96th birthday.

      Cathy, Lee and Ray, mental illness.

      Continued prayers for Greg, multiple myeloma.

      Chapter 26: On Those Who Without an Order Associate with the
      Excommunicated

      If any sister presumes without an order from the Abbess to
      associate in any way with an excommunicated sister, or to speak
      with her,or to send her a message, let her incur a similar
      punishment of excommunication.

      REFLECTION

      This chapter was written for those who had already gone through all
      the earlier stages. They wound up in the ultimate form of monastic
      exclusion. At that point, one must leave the monastic and Abbot to
      themselves and pray. We are not called to play good cop/bad cop any
      longer.

      We must stand back in prayerful silence. God gave the monastic and
      the superior and the Abbey to each other. It is folly of the
      richest sort to assume He didn't know what He was doing. God also
      gave the parent and child, boss and employee, and the spouses to
      each other.

      Remember, at some point one must do nothing but pray.
      There are plenty of ways to be genuinely helpful before that point
      is reached and one ought to do so. I surely tried to love my
      students who broke my heart with their pain, but at some point I
      was helpless.
      God gave X this parent and God is not mean. Cannot be. Will never
      be. I had to trust Him at that extreme and pray for the best, which
      is all God works for anyway. And God works MUCH more efficiently
      than I do.

      Our railing at the seeming harshness of this chapter can cover
      another very important fact. Sometimes WE are the seemingly
      malevolent torturers and we don't even see that. Rare is the person
      who can truly judge themselves with the standards they
      apply to others! Even worse, it often happens that we are BOTH the
      torturer and the innocent victim, doing it most hatefully within
      our hearts, where none but God can enter.

      Our own flawed and fallen hearts trash our own pathetic souls,
      beating them up with all kinds of useless recrimination and self-
      loathings. Whoops! Not what we would have first noticed, is it? Yet
      we sometimes lock the doors of that torture chamber with the key
      that locks out even God: free will. We and we alone can thwart God
      in our own regard. Scary power, isn't it?

      Check out the times we have "excommunicated" ourselves, check out
      the times we have foolishly placed ourselves beyond any help from
      anyone. The injustice there is much harder for us to see, but it is
      terribly real. Whenever we do that, we affirm the terrible heresy
      that we know better than God, that His omniscience stops at the
      door to our inner
      selves. Wrong!!

      I love Gerard Manley Hopkins; he is my all-time favorite poet. I
      think he and I had more than a thing or two in common, not least of
      which were the tendencies to depression and beating oneself up with
      extreme efficiency. Here's something he wrote that sings to my
      heart, and I hope to yours as well.

      "My own heart let me more have pity on; let
      Me live to my sad self hereafter kind,
      Charitable; not live this tormented mind
      With this tormented mind tormenting yet."

      Pray for the awful excommunications that you CANNOT help and look
      ever so carefully for those you and you alone can relieve, those of
      your own soul and heart! God alone can bring good from evil, any
      evil. Ask Him, let Him. He will never fail.

      A final word on this day when many of us are thinking on Purgatory.
      This is my own opinion, not official teaching, but I don't think it
      contradicts the teaching in any way. Try to think of Purgatory as, along with
      its other purposes, also being our chance to forgive ourselves. Surely the
      awesome
      mercy and love of God are so infinite that many of us may have a
      hard time accepting them at first, a hard time forgiving OURSELVES
      for being so dumb. Purgatory might very well serve that purpose,
      while purifying us, too! We cannot, after all, be perfectly happy in Heaven
      until we
      are perfectly comfortable there. For that comfort, self-forgiveness
      is very necessary!

      Message 237 of 237 , Jun 10 3:53 PM

        Matt and Bettie are celebrating 22 years of marriage, not 201 as they awful typo reads. I thought it was 21 years, but Matt kindly corrected my mistake.