Holy Rule for Oct. 29

    Message 1 of 236 , Oct 28, 2012

      Prayers, please, for the eternal rest of 2 children killed by their nanny, for their parents and family and all who mourn them, and for the nanny's conversion and repentance.

      Prayers for the spiritual and tamporal welfare of the following, for all their loved ones and all who take care of them:

      Richard and all the Oblates of Immaculate Conception Monastery, Ferdinand, IN, who renewed their oblation. It is Richard's tenth anniversary of Oblation.

      Stacey and Rachel, both suffered miscarriages.

      Ashely and Jessica, both expecting, for safe pregnancies and deliveries.

      Prayers for the safety of all in the path of Hurricane Sandy, special prayers for us at Petersham, that we sustain no damage and keep our power on.

      Lord, help us all as You know and will. God's
      Him! Thanks so much. JL

      February 28, June 29, October 29
      Chapter 22: How the Sisters Are to Sleep

      Let each one sleep in a separate bed. Let them receive bedding
      suitable to their manner of life, according to the Abbess's
      directions. If possible let all sleep in one place; but if the
      number does not allow this, let them take their rest by tens or
      twenties with the seniors who have charge of them.

      A candle shall be kept burning in the room until morning.

      Let them sleep clothed and girded with belts or cords -- but not
      with their knives at their sides, lest they cut themselves in their
      sleep -- and thus be always ready to rise without delay when the
      signal is given and hasten to be before one another at the Work of
      God,
      yet with all gravity and decorum.

      The younger shall not have beds next to one another, but among
      those of the older ones.

      When they rise for the Work of God let them gently encourage one
      another, that the drowsy may have no excuse.

      REFLECTION

      Hastening "yet will all gravity and decorum" has prompted many a
      community joke, many a wry comment as one ran most ungracefully,
      parts of the habit flapping wildly in the breeze, to whatever the
      bell was about to make one late for! St. Benedict far antedates the
      Three Stooges, but he still took precautions to ensure that we
      would not look EXACTLY like Moe, Larry and Curly when we went to
      choir or dinner! Admittedly, some of our human tendency still
      arises to give a partial glimpse of that comedic trio, but, as
      always, the picture is balanced!

      As for the candle, the elderly may have problems during the
      night if their health is declining. Hale and hearty (and hopefully
      easily awakened!) juniors nearby promise them assistance, if
      needed. However, if you want a humorous take on the knives issue,
      it may
      have been to prevent mayhem and murder of the snorers, an idea
      which has doubtlessly occurred to many light sleepers!

      Of course, dormitory sleeping is a thing of the past in our Order
      today, but its nice to see the thoughtfulness behind its original
      expression in the Holy Rule. There's a bit of the "mother" in St.
      Benedict, going out of his way to mention a small detail like not
      sleeping with knives. It is worthy of note, however, that St.
      Benedict, as always is MODERATELY maternal, not neurotically so! He
      doesn't get all bent out of shape, but he cares greatly and deeply.

      One of the most beautiful images in this passage is the exhortation
      to "gently encourage one another" at the hour of rising. Remember
      that the strictest silence of all prevailed at this time. Now
      picture the monastics gently encouraging one another! With no
      words, there
      had to be a lot of touch, a lot of gentle smiles, a lot of warmth
      and care expressed NON-verbally.

      There is a particularly good suggestion for Oblates: practice
      showing non-verbal affection some time! Try to express your care,
      concern and camaraderie for those around you with smiles, winks,
      pats on the back and such. Not ALL the time, but hone this skill. A
      wordless message of praise or solidarity or love can be treasured
      by another, often much more than what we might have said.

      A very good idea of how loving a monastic is can be had by
      disturbing their silence (or sleep, I imagine!!) Is the reaction
      cross and withering? Watch out for that one! Is there a smile, even
      a warm one, a reaction of sweetness? Well, when silence is over,
      that is a monastic to whose words you may want to listen carefully.

      Message 236 of 236 , Nov 21, 2012

        assassination.

        anyone who
        does not come on time