Holy Rule for Oct. 24

    Message 1 of 237 , Oct 23, 2012
      +PAX

      Prayers, please, for the spiritual and temporal welfare of the following, for all their loved ones and all who take care of them:

      Amy, that she may find a good job and maintain her health.

      Mariarca, 13 , admitted to the hospital with a dangerously high fever, now has kidney failure and is unresponsive to the current antibiotics. Prayers for her comfort and recovery, for her parents strength and comfort and for skill and wisdom for the caregivers so they can find out what is wrong and how to treat it.

      Gorden and Kathleen, special intentions.

      Jimmy and Al, special intentions for each.

      Prayers for the eternal rest of Msgr. John Scully, near his death anniversary.

      Vespers are to be sung with four Psalms every day. These shall
      begin with Psalm 109 and go on to Psalm 147, omitting those which
      are set apart for other Hours; that is to say that
      with the exception of Psalms 117 to 127 and Psalms 133 and 142, all
      the rest of these are to be said at Vespers. And since there are
      three Psalms too few, let the longer ones of the above number be
      divided, namely Psalms 138, 143 and 144. But let Psalm 116 because
      of its brevity be joined to Psalm 115.

      The order of the Vesper Psalms being thus settled, let the rest of
      the Hour -- lesson, responsory, hymn, verse and canticle -- be
      carried out as we prescribed above.

      At Compline the same Psalms are to be repeated every day, namely
      Psalms 4, 90 and 133.

      REFLECTION

      Vespers and Compline are very different
      and refreshing. They are evening hours, not followed by work,
      except for the light clean up after supper, which is not a main
      meal here anyway. Vespers makes one think of finally getting home
      and shutting the door after a long day and a tough commute. It ends the
      workday, leaving the evening for family. Not shabby! A rite of passage from
      the job to the home hearth!

      A brief glance at the Psalms for Vespers will show that they are
      yet another example of consecutive, running psalmody. One right
      after another, except for a few which get bumped elsewhere or
      thoughtfully divided because of their length. Apparently by
      numerical happenstance, Psalm 140 winds us in the Vespers grouping,
      and it is most appropriate: "Let my prayer ascend to You like
      incense and the lifting up of my hands like an evening sacrifice."
      Historically, Psalm 140 has appeared in the Vespers or services of
      light (Lucenaria) of many, many rites.

      For active monasteries, or for busy Oblates in the world, evening
      and early morning are often the only times we get of relative
      cloister and focus. The morning hours are largely available to
      anyone willing or able to get up while the rest of the world
      (including the kids!)
      sleeps, the evening hours perhaps less so. Those evenings are
      family times par excellence and our first vocations must always be
      respected.

      If, as a working parent or spouse, getting home means just getting
      started with dinner, don't despair! There is (or can be, if you
      provide for it,) a lot of undistracted solitude in cooking, even if
      it is rather harried cooking. If you can GENTLY establish a quiet
      space for yourself while cooking, go for it. The solitude of a
      kitchen at work feeding loved ones is a rich one, indeed. Be careful
      not to make your family crazy, though. That's why I stress GENTLY!
      The family comes first!

      If you are into CDs, get one of somebody else singing Vespers and
      play it. Heaven knows, if you can put up with the kids' music, they
      can put up with yours for half an hour a day. Even if you do not
      listen to every word, the soothing chant will settle into your bones,
      become a backdrop of peace on which you can position the rest of
      your evening. Give it a shot for two weeks and I'll bet you find
      your evening meals and later times very different, because YOU are
      different!

      A further plus is that the memory of you listening to Gregorian
      chant while cooking, admittedly a rather unusual practice, will
      stay in your children's minds long, long after you are gone. Who
      knows what a snippet of chant memory might do for a faith life years
      after you have died?

      http://www.stmarysmonastery.org/

      Message 237 of 237 , Jun 10, 2016

        Matt and Bettie are celebrating 22 years of marriage, not 201 as they awful typo reads. I thought it was 21 years, but Matt kindly corrected my mistake.