Holy Rule for Oct. 23

    Message 1 of 236 , Oct 22, 2012

      Prayers, please, for the spiritual and temporal wellbeing of the following, for all their loved ones and all who take care of them:

      LM, pnemonia

      Carol, seeing doc for a cardiology exam for some problems.

      Brittany, not feeeling well, seeing a doctor and hoping she comes out all OK.

      a 9 year old girl mistakenly shot with a shotgun by her cousin. She has already had part of her bowel removed but still has at least 30 pellets in her. The doctors don't know if any of them hit her spine yet as the swelling is quite bad. She is being kept under sedation. The family is asking for prayers for both the granddaughter & the cousin.

      L. who will be having surgery on Thursday for a prolapsed bladder.

      Kelly, newly diagnosed with stage 4 prostate cancer and for his family and friends who care deeply for him.

      Gina for whom prayers have been offered in the past, she is being wrongfully charged for child abuse based on lies told by a manipulated child and his very disturbed mother. Please pray the court hears both sides of the story and learns the truth....very stressful time for her and her family.

      1-yr old Logan, who is again hospitalized and needs more heart surgery;

      Patrick, that he finds employment;

      Dee, who has terminal brain cancer;

      Earl, who has terminal brain cancer.

      Cheryl, that she find suitable fulltime office work.

      Page-Ann, mammogram and now awaiting biopsy, and for her husband, Bob.

      Edna, family problems.

      E and C that they find a really nice place to rent when their house sells where they are both happy. Pray that they successfully follow their budget plan and are debt free within a year.

      Deo gratias: Stratford got to walk his daughter down the aisle and even went to the recptions afterwards.

      Deo gratias, Judy is coming out of her dpression and even going back to school.

      Deo gratias, Susan's pnemonia has abated. Continued prayers for her and Stratford and Judy.

      Prayers, please, for the eternal rest of James, on the anniversary of his death,
      and for all who mourn him.

      At Terce, Sext and None on Monday let the nine remaining sections
      of Psalm 118 be said,
      three at each of these Hours.

      Psalm 118 having been completed, therefore, on two days, Sunday and
      Monday, let the nine Psalms from Psalm 119 to Psalm 127 be said at
      Terce, Sext and None, three at each Hour, beginning with Tuesday.
      And let these same Psalms be repeated every day until Sunday at the
      same Hours, while the arrangement of hymns, lessons and verses is
      kept the same on all days; and thus Prime on Sunday will always
      begin with Psalm 118.

      REFLECTION

      Running psalmody, that is, reciting the Psalms in numerical order,
      no matter what came next, was a very common ancient monastic
      practice. Since one of the principles behind the Psalter was to "get
      it all in" in the space of a week, that running psalmody was a
      natural
      consequence. St. Benedict obviously had some of that on his mind:
      he goes from detailed directions about the spacing of the longest
      Psalm, 118, right into assigning the next 9 to the minor hours
      which are repeated throughout the week from Tuesday to Saturday.

      As a result, one could safely say that there is nothing specific to
      the time of day as such about these Psalms, but that is not
      entirely correct. These nine Psalms from 119-127 are gradual
      Psalms, pilgrimage songs. They were sung by the Jews as they were
      going up
      to Jerusalem. They are filled with the tension of anticipation and
      possession of God's Temple and His blessings, they are songs
      of "already" and "not yet".

      The gradual Psalms are short, compact units, easily memorized.
      Read through these Psalms and picture yourself saying
      them in a distant field, with the Abbey in view, but far away. Get
      the idea? The pilgrim songs that speak of already AND not yet were the
      perfect thing for monastics to say in such circumstances.
      Jerusalem, the House of God, was both a distant view and a complete
      possession, since ALL of the monastery is the House of God.

      It is easy, terribly easy, to forget that we live "in the House of
      God." We do, all monastics do, Oblates do, everyone does. It IS
      God's world. Being reminded of this by those Psalms of journeying
      is a great idea. Our feet really are "standing within your gates, O
      Jerusalem!" yet we also see it as from a distance. We look from
      afar and see that Jerusalem is a city compact, a unity of peace and
      order. Who has seen a monastery on a hill and not had similar
      thoughts?

      Even the accidental end of the sequence (which continues in
      Vespers,) has a wonderful application. "Blessed are those who fear
      the Lord, who walk in His ways!" It recounts the joys and
      protections of a life lived for God and ends with the plea: "On
      Israel, peace!" Just
      picture yourself saying that at the end of a hard day's work in the
      field, looking at back Abbey Church, the safe home of gathered
      family and choir. Not shabby!

      Message 236 of 236 , Nov 21, 2012

        assassination.

        anyone who