Holy Rule for Oct. 19

    Message 1 of 237 , Oct 18, 2012
      +PAX

      Prayers, please, for the eternal rest of the following, for all their loved ones and all who mourn them:

      Diana, a benefactor of her church who died Saturday.

      Dom Dunstan Watkins, OSB, 92, of Ealing Abbey, and for all his Community, too.

      Prayers for the spiritual and temporal welfare of the following, for all their loved ones and all who take care of them:

      Genny that Echo tests to determine the progression of a leaking heart valve shows no change.

      A woman who is suffering mentally from memories of bad things that happened to her years ago. She can't seem to stop thinking about them and keeps mulling them over and over in her mind and keeping the pain alive. She can't seem to let go of the pain and is being tormented by the memories. She needs professional help but is in denial about it.

      Bro. Ambrose, who has a serious infection and may not have long to live.

      Deo gratias and prayers of thanks, that the Oratory of St. Philip Neri with open a Church near Manchester in England, after many prayers for that.

      Lisa, having a mass biopsied.

      grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so muh. JL

      February 18, June 19, October 19
      Chapter 15: At What Times "Alleluia" Is to Be Said

      From holy Easter until Pentecost without interruption
      let "Alleluia" be said both in the Psalms and in the responsories.
      From Pentecost to the beginning of Lent let it be said every night
      with the last six Psalms of the Night Office only. On every Sunday,
      however, outside of Lent, the canticles, the Morning Office, Prime,
      Terce, Sext and None shall be said with "Alleluia," but Vespers
      with antiphons.

      The responsories are never to be said with "Alleluia" except from
      Easter to Pentecost.

      REFLECTION

      It is not uncommon for me to get posts asking how on earth I can
      say "God's will is best." after recounting some litany of horrible
      things which have befallen people in need of our prayers. Well, now
      I up the ante a bit and add the equivalent of "Alleluia!" , "praise
      Him!" to each post.

      In every instance, even when it is all we can do to choke it out,
      gritting our teeth, we must always say Alleluia. God must always be
      praised, always, even when we cannot see goodness anywhere else at
      all, it *IS* in Him and must be acknowledged. I fully expect
      that, before long, new subscribers who have not seen this post will
      begin to write and ask me how and who I can say Alleluia after
      metastatic cancer and the like. Guess I'll have to save an answer in
      my file!

      We can see here that, in the West, already by St. Benedict's
      time, "Alleluia" became a happy word of celebration, the use of
      which was proscribed in somber times like Lent. That didn't happen
      in the East. They go merrily along with Alleluia, even in the
      depths of Lent. There might be a lot more sense to that, actually.

      "Alleluia" means "Praise the Lord!" I know we have taken it to mean
      something a lot more like "Whoopee!", but it doesn't. I bow to St.
      Benedict and Western tradition in the liturgical use. In our
      hearts, however, there should be an "Alleluia/praise the Lord" at
      all times and seasons. "Praise the Lord anyhow!" the charismatics used to say
      when something dreadful or unlovely happened to one. How true, how
      very true!

      I have not had the
      crosses of many, but I have had heavy, tailor-made ones of my own.
      Getting diagnosed HIV+ two years before I became a monk comes to mind, as does
      living with it for over 20 years. So does depression, which just
      about equals it, and I was depressed LONG before I had HIV.

      I was not always very graceful about that, nor about many a
      heartbreak, but I do know and I can honestly say that God's will HAS
      been best, always best. My 20/20 hindsight must, though grudgingly
      at times, fully own that Alleluia was appropriate at every point,
      in every instance.

      Saying that does not mean that I can no longer be terrified at this
      or that prospect. I can. We all can. Jesus was in Gethsemane. It is
      a very human fear, and God finds our humanity, in which He sees His
      Son, very fetching. So don't freak out if you still get scared, it
      is part and parcel of our human condition. But even then, we must train
      ourselves to praise!

      In every heartbreak, in every despair, in every grief we must
      ardently cling to our faith that God is merciful and good. We must
      see that when we feel unable to see it. We must, by faith and sheer
      will, affirm that the Lord must be praised at all times. He is not
      mean. Whatever is bleak shall never, ever lack His tender,
      caressing hand behind it, no matter how unseen to us. It is there.
      He is there. Always! Praise the Lord! ALLELUIA!

      Message 237 of 237 , Jun 10, 2016

        Matt and Bettie are celebrating 22 years of marriage, not 201 as they awful typo reads. I thought it was 21 years, but Matt kindly corrected my mistake.