Holy Rule for Oct. 13

    Message 1 of 236 , Oct 12, 2012

      Prayers for John, on the anniversary of his death, for his eternal rest and for his family and all who mourn him.

      Prayers for Elaine and Craig, that they sell theri home at a good price and get out of debt, prayers they find the right place to rent and that they manage theiir finances wisely.

      Prayesr for Orest and Brittany and their relationship, God keep them safe from adverse influences and happy.

      Prayers for Stratford, that he be able to walk his daughter down the aisle in nine days. Family is asking folks to join them in a novena of prayer. He has advanced cancer and spinal involvement and walking or sitting is very painful.

      Prayers for EF, under investigation for technical fraud, for a just and compassionate penalty, for his family and their finances and that he not fall into life threatening despair.

      Chapter 10: How the Night Office Is to Be Said in Summer Time

      From Easter until the Calends of November
      let the same number of Psalms be kept as prescribed above;
      but no lessons are to be read from the book,
      on account of the shortness of the nights.
      Instead of those three lessons
      let one lesson from the Old Testament be said by heart
      and followed by a short responsory.
      But all the rest should be done as has been said;
      that is to say that never fewer than twelve Psalms
      should be said at the Night Office,
      not counting Psalm 3 and Psalm 94.

      REFLECTION

      The gentleness of St. Benedict, his considerate thoughtfulness is
      again apparent here. Another principle comes to mind, as well. The
      Office is important, but it revolves WITH us to a certain extent. It
      is the axis our day turns on, but that axis may be shortened by the
      season. There are circumstances under which even the Work of God
      itself changes for us. Was humanity made for the Sabbath, or the
      Sabbath for humanity?

      Put another spin on this and you will find, especially if you are an
      Oblate, that St. Benedict intends at least some aspects of his
      monastic program to adapt themselves to the environment in which the
      monastic lives. Do not wear yourself out trying to make the very
      square peg of a relentless monastic life fit into the intractably
      round hole of a life in the world.

      Don't try to make your kids (or spouse!) understand that you are
      going to be monastic, no matter whether they are or aren't. For one
      thing, if you in any way diminish your primary vocation, like
      marriage or parenthood, you are not going to be monastic at all!
      For another thing, such tactics might drive them even farther from
      the faith you hope to share and instill in them.

      The key to our struggle is obedience and humility, not control of others.
      Our oblation must be done in addition to our sacramental and primary
      vocations, never instead of them.

      Message 236 of 236 , Nov 21, 2012

        assassination.

        anyone who