Holy Rule for Oct. 11

    Message 1 of 236 , Oct 10, 2012

      Prayesr, please, for Mary Eleanor, she has another bout with pneumonia and also for her on her birthday. Many more years!

      Lord, help us all as You know and will.
      Thanks so much. JL

      February 10, June 11, October 11
      Chapter 8: On the Divine Office During the Night

      In the winter time,
      that is from the Calends of November until Easter,
      the sisters shall rise
      at what is calculated to be the eighth hour of the night,
      so that they may sleep somewhat longer than half the night
      and rise with their rest completed.
      And the time that remains after the Night Office
      should be spent in study
      by those sisters who need a better knowledge of the Psalter
      or the lessons.

      From Easter to the aforesaid Calends of November,
      the hour of rising should be so arranged that the Morning Office,
      which is to be said at daybreak,
      will follow the Night Office after a very short interval,
      during which they may go out for the necessities of nature.

      REFLECTION

      In St. Benedict's time, and for centuries afterwards, life on a self-sustaining
      farm, which monasteries were supposed to be, was far more difficult and
      time consuming than it would be today. The simplest things that we now do
      with the flick of a switch were big deals, involving lots of human workers and
      every available daylight hour.

      Hence, the monks got up early, very early, to get in much of their monastic day
      before the sun (and the critters!) rose for the day. There was, of course, a
      penitential aspect to this early rising, too, and the ancient Christian practice
      of the night vigil.

      There's at least a possible hint for Oblates of today in all this. Get up a bit
      earlier if you can, and devote those silent and dark morning hours or minutes to
      your monastic endeavors. Knock off a late TV favorite and go to bed a tad
      earlier. We always find time for what we love most. If, however, one is married
      and has a spouse that doesn't want one to blissfully retire at 7:30 or so, this
      will not work. Marriage is a primary, sacramental vocation and demands
      precedence.

      Two very human glimpses into the personality of St. Benedict here. He
      is thoughtful and kind, making sure the monastics have time for a
      bathroom run and he is not prudish about mentioning it. Its part of
      the human and part of family life. As casually as a Mother asks young
      children if anybody "has to go" before a trip, he throws out mention
      of the fact that not everyone could make it through two long services
      without great discomfort!

      Message 236 of 236 , Nov 21, 2012

        assassination.

        anyone who